Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with VIEW /W

May
I think this is another manifestation of an old problem.

If, in a tab, I "VIEW /W file", and while VIEW appears to be in a tab, I "X" TCMD, TCMD disappears immediately and VIEW remains visible for 4 seconds (that is, until the hidden TCC terminates).

If anyone wants to try to duplicate this, and it is indeed related to my old console_not_closing problem, you will need UpdateTitles not checked, TITLEPROMPT set, and a TCEXIT file (empty OK) not using the TITLE command.

If, in a tab, I "VIEW /W file", and while VIEW appears to be in a tab, I "X" TCMD, TCMD disappears immediately and VIEW remains visible for 4 seconds (that is, until the hidden TCC terminates).

Not reproducible here.

It would be impossible for this to be in any way related either to your previous problem, or to TCC. VIEW is running as a separate process, and in a separate tab -- there is no TCC involvement at all.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:06:57 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|If, in a tab, I "VIEW /W file", and while VIEW appears to be in a tab, I "X" TCMD, TCMD disappears immediately and VIEW remains visible for 4 seconds (that is, until the hidden TCC terminates).
|---End Quote---
|
|Not reproducible here.
|
|It would be impossible for this to be in any way related either to your previous problem, or to TCC. VIEW is running as a separate process, and in a separate tab -- there is no TCC involvement at all.

Then it's another incarnation of the same problem. If I "X" TCMD as described
above, and watch TaskMgr, (although TCMD vanishes), four seconds later all four
processes terminate simultaneously (V, ConHost, TCC, and TCMD). If it were XP,
I'm confident it would take more than the five-second "not responding" timeout,
and XP would complain. This problem has been constant for several months,
involving TCMD 12 and 13, and Windows XP and 7.

I too see a similar issue.
I unchecked UpdateTitles; I had already set TitlePrompt as $P; and I created an empty tcexit.btm file (0 byte).
Now, I start TakeCommand from a shortcut that I have on the desktop.
It opens with one tab, with tcc.
From tcc I type echo %_pid and it shows 5000.
Form task manager and from process explorer I can confirm it is the only tcc.exe process that I can see, and it has pid 5000. The tcmd.exe process has pid 6700.
From tcc, I type view /W readme.txt and it opens in another tab.
From task manager and from process explorer I cannot see any other tcc.exe process, only the one with pid 5000, so in my case there is not a hidden or ghost tcc.exe process. There is a v.exe process with pid 508.
In TakeCommand, I click on the upper right X.
I asks if it is ok and I say yes.
The tcmd.exe and the v.exe processes disappear, whereas the tcc.exe process is alive, so now it becomes hidden or ghost and I have to kill it.

If, after starting view, I do some clicks, the tcmd.exe and the tcc.exe disappear, and the v.exe is kept open, with its window that is visible.

This is not an issue for me, I do like to keep UpdateTitles checked, and the combination to see this issue is too specific. Also, if I have tcc active I see a result, if I have view active the result is different, so there are too many combinations for me.

I write here only to let You know, Rex, that if You want I can do some other tests.

Thank You very much and regards.

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Doing a;

Code:
start /?
produces the options for start. Nowhere in these options do I see the /TAB option, but the /TAB option is in the help file under start as follows;

Code:
Start the command in a new TCC tab window.
If I do a;

Code:
which notepad
it produces;

Code:
notepad is an external : C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
If I do a;

Code:
start /tab notepad
Notepad starts in a tabbed window, just like VIEW does.

When I close notepad, no matter if I use the X in notepad, or File Exit, I get the same issues as with VIEW.

Upon reading Rodolfo's message, after re-starting TCMD13, I used TASKLIST to see if there where any copies of TCC left in memory.

Well, TASKLIST showed a tcc with pid of 2052. I was going to do a TASKEND /F 2052, but wanted to see if it was actually hung, or usable.

So, I went to Tabs, Attach Tabs, and there it was. I attached it, and on the screen was everything that I had done in that TCC, including the last command that I started in that TCC;

Code:
start /tab notepad
and the last item on the screen was;

Code:
TCC: Take Command is not loaded
I pressed the enter key, and got the prompt back. I did a;

Code:
echo %_pid
and received 2052, which shows that this was the TCC that I was previously using. It had remained in memory.

ver /r produces;

Code:
TCC  13.00.13   Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 13   Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3
Joe

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Joe Caverly <> wrote:

> If I do a;
> ---------
> start /tab notepad
> ---------
> Notepad starts in a tabbed window, just like *VIEW* does.
>
> When I close notepad, no matter if I use the X in notepad, or File Exit, I get the same issues as with *VIEW*.

Under CMD.exe, START requires a /C parameter if you wish to exit the
calling CMD process after the process spawned by START completes. I
assume TCC emulates this behavior. It's equivalent to COMMAND /C
<program> under DOS or sh -c <process> under *nix.

What happens if you do a "start /tab /c notepad", then exit notepad as above?
______
Dennis

What happens if you do a "start /tab /c notepad", then exit notepad as above?

A new tab is started. Notepad does not start in the new tab. It starts as a normal window.

When I exit notepad, the new tab closes, and all is normal. No need to exit TCMD, and re-start it.

Joe

TCC 13.00.13 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 13 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:29:42 -0400, DMcCunney <> wrote:

|What happens if you do a "start /tab /c notepad", then exit notepad as above?

If I do that, I get something ugly ... a new tab with a caption like "TCC:58C"
containing a corrupted notepad window that can't be used or closed.

To see an exaggerated version, do this:

1. start /tab notepad (this is OK)
2. close notepad (tab closes)
3. move TCMD by dragging
4. start /tab /c notepad

I start TakeCommand and there is one tab with the first tcc.

Inside it, I type "start /tab /c notepad". It appears a new window, not inside a tab, with notepad, and a new tcc inside a tab. I close the notepad with the upper right X and it closes correctly and also the new tcc closes correctly.

If I type "start /tab notepad" it appears a new tab with notepad, when I close it with the X the first tcc tab is stuck with the command that I typed "start /tab notepad".
If I right click on the locked tab and choose detach tab it appears a message that asks if I want to close TakeCommand. And the tcc that was locked becomes active again, immediately, even if I do not answer to close TakCommand, nor Yes neither No.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

notepad.exe is NOT a text ("console" in MS-ese) program. I am not surprized
it misbehaves have trying to straightjacket it into a TCMD tab.
I am not sure, but I think V is also a graphical program.
--
Steve

notepad.exe is NOT a text ("console" in MS-ese) program. I am not surprized
it misbehaves have trying to straightjacket it into a TCMD tab.
I am not sure, but I think V is also a graphical program.

In the help for VIEW, it says;

Code:
/W Display the VIEW window in a Take Command tab window.
The ability to put a GUI app in a tab has been around since v11. In the "What's New" file for TCMD11, it says,

Code:
You can now put (simple) GUI apps into tabs.  Note that this will not work for apps that have multiple parent windows!
Notepad and VIEW are simple GUI apps.

Joe

I have found that, while I cannot create a new tab after the TCMD13 "hang", I can detach the tab. TCMD closes, and I am left with a fully-operational tcc window, the one from which I originally issued the;

Code:
start /tab notepad.exe
I can re-start TCMD13, and attach that tcc window afterwards.

Joe

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:08:09 -0400, Joe Caverly <> wrote:

|The ability to put a GUI app in a tab has been around since v11. In the "What's New" file for TCMD11, it says,

I don't think it's really **in** the tab. It's just sized and positioned to
look like it is. That's pretty nice except that V, and notepad (no doubt
others) remember their size/position and open tab-sized the next time you use
them normally.

> ---------
> start /?
> ---------
> produces the options for start. Nowhere in these options do I see the /TAB
> option, but the /TAB option is in the help file under start as follows;

WAD. The quick help doesn't have (and never has) every option for every
command, as it would make it so unwieldy to be useless.

(Since it took you several years to notice that /TAB wasn't there, it seems
appropriate to leave it out of the quick help!)

(Since it took you several years to notice that /TAB wasn't there, it seems appropriate to leave it out of the quick help!)

I blame that entirely on the size of font that I was using. I have since increased the font size. :)

Joe

I don't think it's really **in** the tab. It's just sized and positioned to
look like it is.

Everything's simple when somebody else did it ... :-)

It is sized and positioned, but that's only about 1% of what's going on when running a GUI app in a tab. (For example, consider what will happen to an external app when you click in the non-client area.)

The ability to put a GUI app in a tab has been around since v11.

Is notepad supposed to look like it is floating over the tab window? Is it supposed to flicker as the mouse moves over its border? (Maybe that is because I have focus-follows-mouse set.) And, is the notepad taskbar icon supposed to be flashing when TCmd doesn't have the focus?

Not that I've ever had the desire to put notepad in a tab, but I thought I'd try it.

TCC 12.11.76 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]