provide a zip download for tccle and other products?

Apr 27, 2011
4
0
#1
I would like to see a simple tccle.zip download that just contains all the files. Can this be provided in the future? It would be really nice.

I understand an installer is more user friendly, however I think a simple zip download will be appreciated by users who like to keep their system as clean as possible, and it would be much easier to update and maintain than blackboxing the files in an installer.

I am a big fan of portable apps, and apps that can be just unzip and run. A lot of good softwares are moving in this direction (firefox, chrome, etc). This is the case for most Mac applications as well.

TCCLE is a portable app, just give us the zip download please. Thanks.
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#2
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM, wildgoose <> wrote:

> I would like to see a simple tccle.zip download that just contains all the files. Can this be provided in the future? It would be really nice.
Related to this, was there ever a version of TCCLE that ran on Win2K?
I have an ancient that notebook quad-boots Win2K, Ubuntu, Puppy Linux,
and FreeDOS. I'd like TCCLE on the Win2K slice, but all versions
available on the JPSoft FTP site fail to install claiming a minimum of
XP is needed. XP is not an option: the box was given to me with XP on
it, and it was frozen snail slow. XP wants 512MB RAM minimum, and the
notebook has 256, expandable to 384. Win2K is no speed demon, but it
actually runs without being actively painful to use.

It's not clear whether it's TCCLE itself or the installer that requires XP.
______
Dennis
 
D

drrob1

Guest
#3
I'm sure 4dos, which is now free unsupported software, will work on your
machine. Google it.

I don't remember when support was removed for Win2K. I think tccle is
after support for win2k was dropped. You would need an older version of
4nt or takecommand, but these were not free.



On 12/03/2011 12:03 AM, DMcCunney wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM, wildgoose<> wrote:
>
>
> ---Quote---
>> I would like to see a simple tccle.zip download that just contains all the files. Can this be provided in the future? It would be really nice.
> ---End Quote---
> Related to this, was there ever a version of TCCLE that ran on Win2K?
> I have an ancient that notebook quad-boots Win2K, Ubuntu, Puppy Linux,
> and FreeDOS. I'd like TCCLE on the Win2K slice, but all versions
> available on the JPSoft FTP site fail to install claiming a minimum of
> XP is needed. XP is not an option: the box was given to me with XP on
> it, and it was frozen snail slow. XP wants 512MB RAM minimum, and the
> notebook has 256, expandable to 384. Win2K is no speed demon, but it
> actually runs without being actively painful to use.
>
> It's not clear whether it's TCCLE itself or the installer that requires XP.
> ______
> Dennis
>
>
>
>
>
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#4
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM, drrob1 <> wrote:

> I'm sure 4dos, which is now free unsupported software, will work on your
> machine. *Google it.
I have 4DOS on the machine, on a partition booting FreeDOS 1.0. Works
fine, but it's 16 bit. (I started with 4DOS on an old PC clone under
MS-DOS decades ago.)


> I don't remember when support was removed for Win2K. *I think tccle is
> after support for win2k was dropped. *You would need an older version of
> 4nt or takecommand, but these were not free.
That was what I thought. The box was a gift from a friend who had
upgraded to a newer, faster notebook. It's a testbed here to see what
performance I can wring out of old hardware *without* spending money
on it. It actually spends most time booted into Linux, with Win2K
there for the odd occasion where I must have Windows to do something.

TCCLE would be nice, but can be lived without.
______
Dennis
 
Jun 2, 2008
300
1
#5
I don't remember when support was removed for Win2K. I think tccle is after support for win2k was dropped.
Right, 4NT/TCMD v8 was the last to support Win2k and the first TCC/LE came at v9. And it wasn't just the installer. Back in the day, I copied a TCC/LE v9 installation from an XP box to a 2k box and it would not run, reporting an invalid call to kernel32.dll or something like that. An unfortunate "near miss".
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#6
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM, TEA-Time <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by drrob1)---
> I don't remember when support was removed for Win2K. *I think tccle is after support for win2k was dropped.
> ---End Quote---
> *Right, 4NT/TCMD v8 was the last to support Win2k and the first TCC/LE came at v9. *And it wasn't just the installer. *Back in the day, I copied a TCC/LE v9 installation from an XP box to a 2k box and it would not run, reporting an invalid call to kernel32.dll or something like that. *An unfortunate "near miss".
That was about what I thought. As mentioned, I can live without TCCLE
on the box, but don't do enough on it to justify paying for the last
JPSoft product that _did_ work under 2K.
______
Dennis
 
#7
From: TEA-Time
| Right, 4NT/TCMD v8 was the last to support Win2k and the first TCC/LE
| came at v9. And it wasn't just the installer. Back in the day, I
| copied a TCC/LE v9 installation from an XP box to a 2k box and it
| would not run, reporting an invalid call to kernel32.dll or something
| like that. An unfortunate "near miss".

MS keeps adding features to their APIs with each OS version, and Rex takes advantage of them. Often these are features which 4NT / TCC previously provided with a lot of work; the new calls make TCC simpler, and allow other features to be added without more bloat. It also makes the newer versions impossible to run with an older OS. Now if you are interested, you could duplicate the features MS added in WinXP in Win2000, and be able to run the latest TCMD / TCC... Probably cost you more in food and rent while working on it than upgrading your OS :-)
--
Steve
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#8
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Steve Fabian <> wrote:

> From: TEA-Time
> | Right, 4NT/TCMD v8 was the last to support Win2k and the first TCC/LE
> | came at v9. And it wasn't just the installer. Back in the day, I
> | copied a TCC/LE v9 installation from an XP box to a 2k box and it
> | would not run, reporting an invalid call to kernel32.dll or something
> | like that. An unfortunate "near miss".
>
> MS keeps adding features to their APIs with each OS version, and Rex takes advantage of them. Often these are features which 4NT / TCC previously provided with a lot of work; the new calls make TCC simpler, and allow other features to be added without more bloat. It also makes the newer versions impossible to run with an older OS. Now if you are interested, you could duplicate the features MS added in WinXP in Win2000, and be able to run the latest TCMD / TCC... Probably cost you more in food and rent while working on it than upgrading your OS :-)
There's an interesting open source package called KernelEx that adds
enough additional kernel APIs to allow a lot of stuff that needs Win2K
or XP to run under Win98, so it's *possible*.

Meanwhile, upgrading to XP isn't an option on the box in question. It
came to me with XP installed, and was slow enough to be unusable.
Win2K actually does things without requiring me to grow old and gray
waiting. Something like TCCLE would be nice, but is not a necessity.
(I don't use Windows on the box enough to justify paying for something
that will run, It spends most of its time in Linux. )


______
Dennis
 
#9
From: DMcCunney
| There's an interesting open source package called KernelEx that adds
| enough additional kernel APIs to allow a lot of stuff that needs Win2K
| or XP to run under Win98, so it's *possible*.
|
| Meanwhile, upgrading to XP isn't an option on the box in question. It
| came to me with XP installed, and was slow enough to be unusable.
| Win2K actually does things without requiring me to grow old and gray
| waiting. Something like TCCLE would be nice, but is not a necessity.
| (I don't use Windows on the box enough to justify paying for something
| that will run, It spends most of its time in Linux. )

You can run 4DOS - it's free!
--
Steve
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,579
97
#10
I would like to see a simple tccle.zip download that just contains all the files. Can this be provided in the future?
There is no chance of this ever happening in the future.

We used to have a .zip download, and it was a support disaster. People ignored the installation instructions, slapped it anywhere, and then called or emailed to complain that it didn't work. The installer is doing a whole lot more than you think -- like creating shortcuts, configuring the autoupdater, and allowing you to use the help file, which would be locked out in a .zip download. And it's impossible to install a .zip file into the "\program files" directories in Windows 7.

We also had a stream of hacked copies of tcc.zip floating around, with pieces removed or extras (viruses and trojans) added. That doesn't happen with a signed installer.

All in all, the negatives outweighed the positives by an order of magnitude or two.
 
D

drrob1

Guest
#11
I have a series of bash aliases that make bash behave like dos, and a
few other things in my .bash_aliases file.

The easy ones are
alias copy='cp -u -v'
alias ren='mv -u -v'
alias del='rm -v'
alias move='mv -u -v'
alias md='mkdir'
alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd ../..'
bind 'C-i':menu-complete

I have others. I find the bind statement very useful because I makes
the tab key behave like it does in 4dos, etc. IE, cycling thru options
instead of the list you get after <tab><tab> and then you have make what
you type unique.

Good Luck
--rob

PS: you can email me off the forum: rob at drrob1 dot com



On 12/03/2011 10:25 AM, DMcCunney wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM, drrob1<> wrote:
>
>
> ---Quote---
>> I'm sure 4dos, which is now free unsupported software, will work on your
>> machine. *Google it.
> ---End Quote---
> I have 4DOS on the machine, on a partition booting FreeDOS 1.0. Works
> fine, but it's 16 bit. (I started with 4DOS on an old PC clone under
> MS-DOS decades ago.)
>
>
>
> ---Quote---
>> I don't remember when support was removed for Win2K. *I think tccle is
>> after support for win2k was dropped. *You would need an older version of
>> 4nt or takecommand, but these were not free.
> ---End Quote---
> That was what I thought. The box was a gift from a friend who had
> upgraded to a newer, faster notebook. It's a testbed here to see what
> performance I can wring out of old hardware *without* spending money
> on it. It actually spends most time booted into Linux, with Win2K
> there for the odd occasion where I must have Windows to do something.
>
> TCCLE would be nice, but can be lived without.
> ______
> Dennis
>
>
>
>
>
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#12
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM, drrob1 <> wrote:

> I have a series of bash aliases that make bash behave like dos, and a
> few other things in my .bash_aliases file.
>
> The easy ones are
> alias copy='cp -u -v'
> alias ren='mv -u -v'
> alias del='rm -v'
> alias move='mv -u -v'
> alias md='mkdir'
> alias ..='cd ..'
> alias ...='cd ../..'
> bind 'C-i':menu-complete
>
> I have others. *I find the bind statement very useful because I makes
> the tab key behave like it does in 4dos, etc. *IE, cycling thru options
> instead of the list you get after <tab><tab> and then you have make what
> you type unique.
I used to have an extensive set of Korn shell aliases and functions
that provided a pretty complete MS-DOS environment. (It was intended
as "training wheels" for users of the old AT&T UNIX-PC coming to it
from MS-DOS PCs, and written by AT&T staffers. I own the bigger 3B1
model of that product.)

I had a Unix box at home before I got my first MS-DOS machine, so I
was more interested in how the package had been implemented than in
the functionality. I was fluent at a shell prompt, and still am.

I do use some aliases similar to yours, particularly those for .. and ...

In the MS-DOS days, I ran the MKS Toolkit, which provided all of the
Unix utilities that made sense on a single-user, single tasking
machine, including the Korn shell and the vi editor. When I was in
that environment, it could be hard to tell I *wasn't* on a Unix
machine.


> Good Luck
The current fun is figuring out why LXDE seems to be stepping on
XFCE4's toes, so that XCFE4 won't run at login when selected. It
*used* to work...


> --rob
>
> PS: you can email me off the forum: *rob at drrob1 dot com
So noted.
______
Dennis
 
Jun 7, 2008
96
3
#13
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Steve Fabian <> wrote:

> From: DMcCunney
> | There's an interesting open source package called KernelEx that adds
> | enough additional kernel APIs to allow a lot of stuff that needs Win2K
> | or XP to run under Win98, so it's *possible*.
> |
> | Meanwhile, upgrading to XP isn't an option on the box in question. It
> | came to me with XP installed, and was slow enough to be unusable.
> | Win2K actually does things without requiring me to grow old and gray
> | waiting. Something like TCCLE would be nice, but is not a necessity.
> | (I don't use Windows on the box enough to justify paying for something
> | that will run. It spends most of its time in Linux. )
>
> You can run 4DOS - it's free!
And it's 16 bit, when Win2K is a 32 bit environment. See my other
posts in the thread.


______
Dennis
 
Apr 27, 2011
4
0
#14
Thanks for the explanation.

I was thinking about a zip download in addition to the regular download, not replacing it. Something like this for example:
Download FastStone Image Viewer

Software that do this have a higher prestige factor to me ;)

An alternative is have a 'portable install' option within the installation menu (typical, custom, portable), where it just extracts the files if you want to sign the executable for protection. (truecrypt/foobar2000 are such examples. They can do a full install that integrates with windows, or just extract the files.)

TCC users that don't know what to do with zip files? ;)