Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Put JPSoft's products in the App Store

Oct
Put JPSoft's products in the App Store

3/27/2019 REVISION: Just put an app version of TCC/LE. See my comment below about why that would be preferable.

Last edited:
No objection, but in what way would JP Software's customer service be enhanced by such a change?
And, while you're at it, why not GitHub or Chocolatey?

The pro's should outweigh the cons like
- more stuff to do at shipping time
- multiple points of failure
- version ctrl

Which is not to say that I am in any way attached to the current installer.
If something better comes along,..

Regards, DJ

Availability from M$ App Store would increase product visibility.
As to the associated cost… that is up for investigation.

How about at least putting TCC/LE (or maybe putting only a TCC/LE version)? The fact that it's free would attract a lot of folks.

And having it in the Store would give the opportunity to let folks know JPSoft has paid industrial-strength tools--and they don't just work with Win 10.

Plus, that would avoid having to create app versions of each product. Additionally, an app version of each product would have to be different from the non-app versions.

Last edited:
That's just a management decision--they updated it to run under Win 10.

There's no reason they couldn't make just enough changes to TCC/LE for it to run as an app. The main purpose would be to draw attention to JPSoft's other products.

Management decision was to release TCC-RT.
There's no reason to even look into TCC/LE anymore.
TCC-RT doesn't have a command line. They're different products with different goals. The main purpose of LE is give a taste--but then you have to buy the carton of ice cream.

The reason for TCC-RT was a lot of companies would see TCC and think, "Hey, that could be pretty good! ... But we're not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars so we can put a copy on every virtual machine on our server farm." Better to get a few sales of the development tool and give away a run-time than get no sales. And, of course, developers would recommend it to their friends--but only if their employer bought copies of TCMD in the first place.

It's not an either-or situation.

Realistically, I can't see anyone looking through the App Store and thinking "Wow! A free super-pumped-up CMD without a command line or any kind of debugger! Let me get that! Hey--maybe they have other stuff!"

With TCC/LE it'll be like the company I work for--"Let's try the free version first." I did original development work with my personal TCMD copy--but I couldn't use UDF's or array variables because LE doesn't support those. Then it got to, "You know, we really need the paid version if we're running it on another PC." ... "Okay, we'll get it."

(By the way just so we're clear--I'm not a programmer, I'm a lawyer; my boss has been told by every consultant she has spoken with that she needs a full-time in-house IT person, but "it's not gonna happen" and I'm the one who gets stuck with it. So we don't have commercial development tools like Visual Studio, etc.)

TCC-RT doesn't have a command line.

You are correct that TCC-RT does not have a command line, but this message shows a quick-and-dirty command line for TCC-RT.

No, it's not for everyday use, it's just a quick-and-dirty command line for TCC-RT.

Joe

I don't feel that necessary. There's better tools for that, than TCC could ever become. It's just whole different league.
Keep in mind the purpose of putting TCC/LE in the App Store--providing a free taste. "Hey! This looks interesting! ... Let me try it--it is free."

Anyone looking for industrial-strength development tools like TCMD and its free runtime TCC-RT isn't going to be "cruising" the App Store looking for solutions.

But having a TCC/LE app would attract folks "just browsing for command-line replacements out of curiosity"--they try TCC/LE then figure, "Hey, let me download the 30-day trial version of their real product."

Oh, I find TCC/LE very useful for situations where I can't afford the full licensed version. WinPE boot sticks, for example. I give those away — can't put my licensed copy on 'em.

TCC/LE is not "interesting" - it's useless.
It's not even comparable to native CMD.
Actually, for work I wrote an entire setup in TCC/LE that accesses a hospital's secure FTP site, downloads a pipe-delimited set of records of patients who have been in car accidents, checks the file for bad characters (/, <, > and =), parses the records, maintains a list of EVERY account sent, compares new records against that to weed out duplicates, assigns in-house account numbers for accounts that will be kept, looks up address info, etc., for the hospital and puts that in an output record, looks at wording in the diagnosis description and categorizes the visit, creates two output files, one to be imported into the New Accounts database and the other into the Junk database (e.g., fell off roller skates), flags accounts over $50k, counts and displays the number of good files and "junk" files, combines info from a bunch of fields to create a History field with date account is placed, patient age, dollar amount, diagnosis description, name, address, etc., of any THIRD insurer, and the account number.

Other parts written in TCC/LE rename the download files, move things among a bunch of folders, create reports, reformat the PAYMENTS download file, generate STATUS files to upload, and a lot of other things.

Yes, it would make sense to do it with a modern database manager that has its own programming language, etc. My boss has been told that repeatedly by me and consultants--but "it's not gonna happen" (and since I don't "get" object-oriented, event-driven, API-based programming techniques, I certainly couldn't do it.)

Last edited:
Back