Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QUERYBOX focus and ALT-TAB switching

Two gripes about querybox in a TCC console window.
  1. If the box is being displayed and its input field has the focus, press ALT-TAB to switch to another application. Then again ALT-TAB to switch back to the TCC console window. I expect for the focus to be back into the querybox input field but instead the console itself has the focus now. Can I return focus to the querybox by keyboard presses only?
  2. With step 1 in place press ALT+TAB again to switch to another application. Then again ALT-TAB to switch back to the TCC console window. There is no TCC icon in the ALT-TAB list, where did it go? I have to minimize other windows to uncover the TCC console window.
Code:
C:\>ver

TCC 13.04.63 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\>querybox prompt %%x

You'll need to redirect both gripes to Microsoft -- that's Windows, not TCC.

Note that you won't have either problem when running TCC in a Take Command tab window, because Take Command monitors the Windows messages and makes the appropriate adjustments. But Microsoft decided that console programs cannot have access to their message queue.

Would TCMD's interception of these and other messages make it worthwhile to run TCC in a TCMD tab even when there is no other tab in use?

Absolutely. I haven't run a naked console session in years (except when testing bug reports from people who are far less enlightened).

Running TCC in a tab window is:

1) Much faster than a console window
2) Cut & paste is far easier & far more capable
3) Most of the innumerable Windows console bugs (like the one above) are invisible because TCMD is fixing them in the background.

The only reason to run TCC in a console window is ... ummm ... actually, there isn't any reason to do that. Unless you're counting the number of milliseconds it takes to load and getting crazed if a new version takes 6 milliseconds longer than the previous version. (I won't say which of our users worries about that, but if I did, his name would be Vince ...)

Or if you only have a 640x480 display, and don't want to give up one line of screen space for a menu.

Well, on my desktop with its relatively small monitor I run games at 640x480; I also run some age-old DOS programs that way (to avoid lots of confusion). All games run iside a TCC wrapper that does some logging and for some games also performs initialization. I recently acquired a larger monitor for my laptop when it is docked; only need 640x480 when away from home. But when not playing games I often have more than one version of TCC active, each in a separate console. I frequently change screen resolution do accommodate my deteriorating eyesight.

Absolutely. I haven't run a naked console session in years (except when testing bug reports from people who are far less enlightened).

Running TCC in a tab window is:

1) Much faster than a console window
2) Cut & paste is far easier & far more capable
3) Most of the innumerable Windows console bugs (like the one above) are invisible because TCMD is fixing them in the background.

The only reason to run TCC in a console window is ... ummm ... actually, there isn't any reason to do that. Unless you're counting the number of milliseconds it takes to load and getting crazed if a new version takes 6 milliseconds longer than the previous version. (I won't say which of our users worries about that, but if I did, his name would be Vince ...)

Or if you only have a 640x480 display, and don't want to give up one line of screen space for a menu.

I have one more reason. :-)

I frequently have to operate on a number of pendrives and SD/CF/MS cards, which have to be stopped and then unplugged. On a "naked" TCC window, all I need to do is make sure the current directory isn't on one of the drives assigned to them. When running TCMD, I get the Window's "This drive cannot be stopped [bla bla bla]" message - if I detach the tab(s) on it to separate windows, and get rid of TCMD, the problem disappears and I can stop and unplug without issue (even with said tabs still active, as long as none of them don't have a problematic current directory set).

I love my pure and unspoiled console window (since I can think of and probably will forever).
In the office I have to work with so many GUI based admin tools, all totally cool and feature-supercharged - it's really a horror.
And for me often the easiest way to get the desired informations is the console. Becasue the result-lines are often very long, I run it with 220x85 on my 2nd monitor.
De gustibus non est disputandum ;)