Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Range command dialog with blank maximum size erases everything

Jun
If I do "erase /= *.*" and enter 1000 for the minimum size in the Ranges dialog, the command line is "erase /[s1000,0] *.*". This deletes everything that is at most 1000 bytes. I would think the command line should be "erase /[s1000] *.*".

TCC 22.00.40 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.16299].

Yes, but why does the command dialog interpret a blank value to be zero? That is the problem. If it left it blank, then the command would be what I intended.

The problem is entering only one argument. TCC could logically interpret that three ways:

1) Delete all files from 0 - 1000 bytes
2) Delete all files >= 1000 bytes
3) Delete all files exactly == 1000 bytes

I don't think that any one of those is obviously more sensible than the others, which is why I don't plan to change the existing behavior. (Which at least has the weight of history and all the existing batch files & aliases.)

At least back to 4NTv8, the help has said (and still says):
The second parameter of a size range is optional. If you use a single parameter, you will select all files of the specified size or larger.

That doesn't leave much room for interpretation. And that's how it works.

I think the OP was only suggesting that you change the behavior of the "/=" dialog (which provides a second parameter even if it's not wanted) and not that you change the way size ranges work.

Vince is correct. The second argument in a size range is optional and is the documented way to delete all files equal or greater than a certain size. The Help gives the example of "/[s1M] 2**20 bytes or larger". The problem is you can't enter this using the "/=" dialog. If you leave the second value blank in the dialog, it should not include the second value in the command line.