Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Read My Mind WishList: compell me to use cd

May
I am getting the bad behaviour of pressing directly the tab key and then the Enter key to change directories, without using the cd command, since TCC/LE consideres directories as "executables". It is bad because, if in the current directory I have subdirectories and executable files, if I type too quickly for my brain to follow what my hands are doing, I may activate an executable instead of changing directory. Is there any way in which I can say to TCC/LE that the tab key must not find directories? For example, for data files I must first press a space. I would like to be compelled to use the cd command. So, is there a way to say to TCC/LE that directories are not executables?
I understand that this is in the series Do What I Mean!

Thank You very much

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

I am getting the bad behaviour of pressing directly the tab key and then the Enter key to change directories, without using the cd command, since TCC/LE consideres directories as "executables". It is bad because, if in the current directory I have subdirectories and executable files, if I type too quickly for my brain to follow what my hands are doing, I may activate an executable instead of changing directory. Is there any way in which I can say to TCC/LE that the tab key must not find directories? For example, for data files I must first press a space. I would like to be compelled to use the cd command. So, is there a way to say to TCC/LE that directories are not executables?

It's called "automatic directory changes" and you can enable or disable it, guess where, in the settings. By the way, this is a very useful feature, also known from Bash and Z Shell.

Maybe you should start getting into the habit of giving your directories different names than your executables (would make a lot of sense) or trying to slow down the "hand that presses the enter key" (would make even more sense).

Back