Done Recycle/Reuse window option for TCMD

Jun 5, 2017
If you want to open TCMD through a keyboard shortcut, you can create a link then assign that link a shortcut (right click, Properties -> Shortcut -> Shortcut Key).

When you press the shortcut, TCMD opens. However, if you press the shortcut again, another TCMD opens.

I would like the option to tell TCMD to look for an existing instance, and focus that instance instead of opening a new one (if exists).

Outlook has a switch that does this. The switch is called "/recycle". I would love to such an option added to CMD.

N.B.: Yes, I know you you can do this with AutoHotKey. I'm looking for something that doesn't require installation of another app.

Aug 23, 2010
This behavior is controlled by Windows. If application launched from shortcut is still active, windows normally activate that application.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
If you want to open TCMD through a keyboard shortcut, you can create a link then assign that link a shortcut (right click, Properties -> Shortcut -> Shortcut Key).

When you press the shortcut, TCMD opens. However, if you press the shortcut again, another TCMD opens.

I would like the option to tell TCMD to look for an existing instance, and focus that instance instead of opening a new one (if exists).

Outlook has a switch that does this. The switch is called "/recycle". I would love to such an option added to CMD.

N.B.: Yes, I know you you can do this with AutoHotKey. I'm looking for something that doesn't require installation of another app.
This TCMD option will prevent a second instance starting. However, experiment shows that in the case of a hotkey, it won't bring the existing instance to the foreground. Perhaps Rex can do something about that.

1535746340242.png

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
This TCMD option will prevent a second instance starting. However, experiment shows that in the case of a hotkey, it won't bring the existing instance to the foreground. Perhaps Rex can do something about that.

View attachment 2111

Windows is not fond of applications that attempt to seize the focus from other apps.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
Windows is not fond of applications that attempt to seize the focus from other apps.
Yeah, I thought of that. But 2-clicking the shortcut again will bring the already-running instance to the foreground (and the hotkey won't). While I'm not saying anything can be done about it, I just don't appreciate the difference.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
A shortcut to notepad behaves quite differently. With one already running, a 2-click on the shortcut starts a second one while the hotkey brings the already-running one to the foreground.