Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Regex match on \h

Nov
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with \h and \H regex matches?

First off, to confirm that character classes are working at all:
Code:
[C:\]echo %@regex[\d,5] %@regex[\w,5] %@regex[\d,a] %@regex[\w,a]
1 1 0 1

But when I try \h and \H I get a bunch of zeros. This makes little sense to me since \H should return the opposite of \h.
Code:
[C:\]echo %@regex[\h,5] %@regex[\H,5] %@regex[\h,a] %@regex[\H,a] %@regex[\h,z] %@regex[\H,z]
0 0 0 0 0 0

In fact, if I replace \h with the help file's definition (and define \H as not-the-help-file's-definition-of-\h), it works as expected:
Code:
echo %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],5] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F],5] %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],a] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F],a] %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],z] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F
],z]
1 0 1 0 0 1

PEBCAK or bug?

Huhu - I didn't know that before: PEBCAK! :p
There is also PEBKAC, PICNIC and ID-10T (one delta ten tango)
**rofl**
You just made my day!

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with \h and \H regex matches?

First off, to confirm that character classes are working at all:
Code:
[C:\]echo %@regex[\d,5] %@regex[\w,5] %@regex[\d,a] %@regex[\w,a]
1 1 0 1

But when I try \h and \H I get a bunch of zeros. This makes little sense to me since \H should return the opposite of \h.
Code:
[C:\]echo %@regex[\h,5] %@regex[\H,5] %@regex[\h,a] %@regex[\H,a] %@regex[\h,z] %@regex[\H,z]
0 0 0 0 0 0

In fact, if I replace \h with the help file's definition (and define \H as not-the-help-file's-definition-of-\h), it works as expected:
Code:
echo %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],5] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F],5] %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],a] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F],a] %@regex[[0-9a-fA-F],z] %@regex[[^0-9a-fA-F
],z]
1 0 1 0 0 1

PEBCAK or bug?
Have you selected "Ruby" as your regular expression type? I don't think \h and \H have a meaning in the Perl syntax and, perhaps, in other syntaxes.

It does work when Ruby is selected. See the OPTION dialog, Advanced tab.
Code:
g:\tc13> option //regularexpressions=ruby

g:\tc13> echo %@regex[\H,5]

g:\tc13> echo %@regex[\h,5]

g:\tc13> option //regularexpressions=perl

g:\tc13> echo %@regex[\H,5]

g:\tc13> echo %@regex[\h,5]

Have you selected "Ruby" as your regular expression type? I don't think \h and \H have a meaning in the Perl syntax and, perhaps, in other syntaxes.

I had not -- I initially just assumed that the information in the help file would reflect default operation. Thanks!

Perhaps the documentation could/should include some sort of note that the options listed are not TCC's default behaviour.

I had not -- I initially just assumed that the information in the help file would reflect default operation. Thanks!

Perhaps the documentation could/should include some sort of note that the options listed are not TCC's default behaviour.

The help already says:

"This section covers the Ruby regular expression syntax. For information on Perl regular expression syntax, see your Perl documentation or http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/pod/perlre.html."