How to? Registered Take Command 18 on USB thumb drive

Mar 10, 2012
I bought two copies of Take Command 18, getting one free update (thanks), and I paid for the other update. One copy is for home, and one copy is for work.

At work, I installed Take Command onto a USB thumb drive. That's fine. I am a software developer, a contractor. I usually have one job at a time, and I have a USB thumb drive for each customer. My contract jobs last about a year, and I seem to get a new job when a new version of Take Command comes out.

At my latest job, they gave me a state-of-the-art laptop and company phone and treat me very well. The job looks like it will last for a while. I develop software and walk around with my Take Command 18 is on that thumb drive. I have tasks where I need to move around several hundred files at a time copying from networked drives to customer hard drives and folders. My carefully crafted BTM files and aliases greatly facilitate these operations. Take Command and my programmer's editor and tools are never installed onto a customer machine.

I would like to install Take Command on my work laptop, but the installer won't let me. I would like the work copy of Take Command to live on one laptop and one USB drive. Right now I'm running it off the thumb drive, which is acceptable, but I would prefer to have it on the hard driver of my work laptop.. I will never run two instances of Take Command at one time, and I am the only one there who runs it.

How do I install Take Command on a thumb drive and still have it install-able?

Second question: I have two laptops at home, and I want to install my "home copy" onto the old laptop. Is this legal? Once again I am the only one who uses it.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
A single-system Take Command license allows you to install on up to three systems, provided they're used by the same user and not in use simultaneously other than for synchronization.

Your v18 license is currently registered on two systems, so you have one more activation that you could use on a thumb drive.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
rainburger Query machine names registered with activation key Support 4
mikea How to? TCC registered to wrong 'entity' Support 5
w_krieger TCC takes time to show registered to. Support 31
M Registered to machine-name? Support 7
L managing registered computer names: limit = 3 Support 1
S Install TC 17.00.37 x64 expires immediately & invalidates registered TCmd v16.03.55 Support 3
J NT 8.0.102 purchased version is not longer "registered" since installing trial of TCMD 15. Support 10
C Does removing a registered TCMD lower the number registrations used? Support 5
Z CMDDebug - TCC unknown command Support 2
F Edit command Support 1
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 28.02.17 Support 0
old coot LEAVE appears to affect command-line arguments Support 11
J VDESKTOP command Support 3
old coot tee command cancels colors Support 33
Dmitry L. Kobyakov How to? How to remove the record of the old version of the Take Command? Support 9
D Can alias pass parameters to for command? Support 3
samintz How to? Search for %(command) in Help? Support 1
T VIEW only works from command line Support 14
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v28 Released Support 0
T Take Command 28: Lua reports version 5.4.0 (5.4.3 expected) [SOLVED] Support 1
Jay Sage WAD Possible Bug With OPTION Command With @FILE Support 5
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.01.24 uploaded Support 0
J Take command does not start on Windows 10 Support 3
vefatica `Back quotes` - command line vs. batch file Support 5
Jay Sage WAD Failure of Alias Command with /Z Option Support 14
Phileosophos Is there any way to open the Take Command options dialog from the command line? Support 8
Phileosophos Command-line Editing Shortkeys That Fail Support 6
fpefpe How to? free (internal) command Support 0
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.01.23 uploaded Support 0
T How to? retain command history across reboot? Support 6
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v27.01 Build 22 Uploaded Support 0
Jay Sage Bug With Flow Control and/or Command Grouping Support 2
GermanDirk How to? EVENTLOG Command with simple User Rights not functional Support 4
Jay Sage Take Command Is Too Fast! Support 4
Jay Sage Comparison of IF with Command Group and IFF Support 6
D Open Windows 10 Photos app from command line Support 11
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.21 uploaded Support 0
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.20 uploaded Support 0
U Can not get/start Take Command gui Support 1
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.19 Support 0
S Increasing Font Point Size in Command Tabs Support 2
mfarah Fixed The DATE command produces the wrong error message. Support 1
vefatica Command name mix-up Support 3
FreezerBurnt "Missing SETLOCAL" when initializing Visual Studio Command Prompt. Support 9
E How to? Closing desktop created by DESKTOP command Support 10
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v27.0.18 Support 0
K Take Command fox XP? Support 7
Joe Caverly Documentation Replace internal command with LIBRARY command Support 0
fpefpe How to? command echo in title line/bar Support 2
U Command help on file names Support 5