Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Registered to machine-name?

May
Maybe a silly question, but..

Is v20 really supposed to display "Registered to <machine-name>" like it does with 20.00.14?
Earlier versions (18 and lower) displayed purchaser's name + license count.

Yes, it really is supposed to display the machine name.

The registration key is tied only to the machine name, and has been for several years. The user name was just there for the user's benefit, but it was a constant support issue because people would buy using their own name and then want to switch it to a company name (or vice versa), or change companies, or get divorced, etc. So it was dropped altogether in v20.

Yes, it really is supposed to display the machine name.

The registration key is tied only to the machine name, and has been for several years. The user name was just there for the user's benefit, but it was a constant support issue because people would buy using their own name and then want to switch it to a company name (or vice versa), or change companies, or get divorced, etc. So it was dropped altogether in v20.
Rex: if the machine name is changed, does re-registering involve anything other than simply re-entering the original registration key? Or ... in the case of a single-system license, would TC refuse because it would appear to be a brand-new installation?

I don't plan to change the machine's name — I shoulda done that five minutes after I first set it up, but I spaced that out — and I shoulda upgraded to a three-system license. Well, as long as I don't mess with the name...

I don't plan to change the machine's name — I shoulda done that five minutes after I first set it up, but I spaced that out — and I shoulda upgraded to a three-system license. Well, as long as I don't mess with the name...

For v20, you should be able to "unregister" your copy with your license key, then change the machine name, and then re-register it again. I haven't purchased v20 yet (but am going to) and am still using the trial, so I haven't actually tried it yet, but it should probably work. I'm very glad that the "unregister" function has been added, as I've played around with different virtual machines set up to test different things and have wanted to play with TCMD in them, and don't want to have a license irrevocably tied to a VM that I'm not going to keep permanently.