Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RegTweaks.btm and Windows 7

Jul
I've used this btm file several times and had no problems, and it saved me a lot of fussing.

Now it's decided not to work.

I get all kinds of errors as it starts up (although it continues), and then, if I have a problem, the registry entries it made for backup "beep" at me when I try to "roll back."

I'm not even certain where I first downloaded this, but it should have been from here, shouldn't it?

The file sets the btm file defaults to TCC (as I want), but then it also sets folders so that when I double-click them it opens a TCC window.

Is this a fixable issue, is there another file that does it better, or ...?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Attachments

• RegTweaks for TCMD and TCC.btm
    23.6 KB · Views: 299
I've used this btm file several times and had no problems, and it saved me a lot of fussing.

Now it's decided not to work.

I get all kinds of errors as it starts up (although it continues), and then, if I have a problem, the registry entries it made for backup "beep" at me when I try to "roll back."

I'm not even certain where I first downloaded this, but it should have been from here, shouldn't it?

The file sets the btm file defaults to TCC (as I want), but then it also sets folders so that when I double-click them it opens a TCC window.

Is this a fixable issue, is there another file that does it better, or ...?

There's a newer version here:

http://www.unm.edu/~cdye/dl/RegTweaks.btm

If that doesn't work, let me know; I have a Windows 7 machine here (ugh) and I can try to replicate the problem.

Also, you will need to run that as administrator; it definitely won't work if run in a restricted user account.

There's a newer version here:

http://www.unm.edu/~cdye/dl/RegTweaks.btm

If that doesn't work, let me know; I have a Windows 7 machine here (ugh) and I can try to replicate the problem.

Charles, a couple things:

I decided to see if it was a conflict to something running, so I went back to a "bare install" and it works fine there. So it is either some conflict (which would be strange, as nothing else had changed), or some fluke thing. I'll have to keep an eye on it...

Why don't you like Windows 7? As opposed to what? Certainly not Vista?

Chuck

Why don't you like Windows 7? As opposed to what? Certainly not Vista?

No, certainly not Vista. I managed to bypass that one altogether.

It's just one petty, stupid, unnecessary annoyance after another. The latest is that Microsoft has made it darn near impossible to copy user profiles. Which makes it exceedingly difficult to prepare a standardized image for multi-user computers.

No, certainly not Vista. I managed to bypass that one altogether.

It's just one petty, stupid, unnecessary annoyance after another. The latest is that Microsoft has made it darn near impossible to copy user profiles. Which makes it exceedingly difficult to prepare a standardized image for multi-user computers.

Yeah, they keep messing with some of the wrong things, and leaving some they should mess with it seems!

My first experience with Windows 7 was on a nifty little Acer netbook I bought; it came with I think Windows 7 Starter. I wasted half an hour trying to change the wallpaper before I learned that Microsoft had deliberately removed that ability. That's the first time I realized that Microsoft actually wants me to move to Linux.

Sweet little netbook. Lucid Lynx is almost painfully cool, though I do miss Take Command.

My first experience with Windows 7 was on a nifty little Acer netbook I bought; it came with I think Windows 7 Starter. I wasted half an hour trying to change the wallpaper before I learned that Microsoft had deliberately removed that ability. That's the first time I realized that Microsoft actually wants me to move to Linux.

Sweet little netbook. Lucid Lynx is almost painfully cool, though I do miss Take Command.

Had a go-round with Ubuntu and SUSE, but have never quite gotten up the guts to make the switch. Never looked at Lucid though...

Chuck