Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Remove TCC from Cntrl-Pnl Recommended list

Aug
This is primarily a request for help, but it's not a direct product-support issue. There is a suggestion at the end.

I just had a reason to make some file associations unrelated to any JPSoft product. But, I discovered in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types > Change > Recommended Programs -and- Other Programs, entries for “Take Command”, “TCC”, and “TCC LE”. Given my vehement dislike for unnecessary, undesirable, and unsolicited changes of this type to my PC, I must have missed the option to not have these changes made when I installed TCC v11.

I would like to know how to remove these entries, presumably by uninstalling TCC v11 and reinstalling it with some assistance in making sure I find and exercise the “NO” option this time. That way I'll be ready for the v12 installation when conditions permit.

The suggestion is that the option be more conspicuous. I apologize for missing it last time. I'm usually pretty careful about catching things like this, but I missed that one and it's pretty hard to get them passed me.

I would like to know how to remove these entries, presumably by uninstalling TCC v11 and reinstalling it with some assistance in making sure I find and exercise the “NO” option this time. That way I'll be ready for the v12 installation when conditions permit.

The suggestion is that the option be more conspicuous. I apologize for missing it last time. I'm usually pretty careful about catching things like this, but I missed that one and it's pretty hard to get them passed me.

There is no option to enable or disable this, because this doesn't have anything to do with Take Command or TCC. They didn't put those entries there, Windows did. (Probably because you ran the tcmdbatch.btm or tccbatch.btm batch file to associate the .BTM, .BAT, and / or .CMD extensions with TCC.)

Thank you for your reply. I’m not a computer Geek, but I do understand discordance. You said that “this doesn't have anything to do with Take Command or TCC” and then “probably because you ran the tcmdbatch.btm or tccbatch.btm batch file”. I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make any sense to me. Granted, my Secondary Education is only that of a degree in Psychology and a degree in Electrical Engineering, but that doesn’t make sense in either field.

Regardless of whatever created them, I think it’s safe to say that they weren’t there before JPSoft files were placed on my computer. I discovered them when I was in the Control Panel changing the file-association of ‘.ogg’ (Xiph.Org Foundation/Audio File Format) from Realplayer to Winamp. I checked a few other extensions and found the TC/TCC choices also for jpg, pdf, docx, ogd (Oracle Corporation forms graph file), dib (Windows Device-Independent Bitmap), qtl (Apple Inc./Quicktime Player) and pdd (Adobe Systems Inc./Photoshop Elements).

I find it hard to believe that Windows XP would arbitrarily include in the Control-Panel Application-choices such specialized utilities/applications as TC/TCC to these and a half a dozen others I checked (and probably to all extensions). I also find it just as hard to believe that, given JPSoft’s reputation and obvious technical prowess, any JPSoft utility would do this when the applicable TC/TCC extensions are so few and so specialized.

Regardless of the final cause, I’m confident that it started with a JPSoft utility or installation; and, I’m also confident that the JPSoft utility/installation was prudently written. So, I’m going to uninstall the v11 suite to remove the undesirable file-association choices that were created ONLY AFTER I executed the JPSoft utility/installation that started it. Then, I’ll reinstall the v11 suite, only this time I’ll use the Control Panel to make the JPSoft file associations.

In fact, that was my plan before I revisited my “Suggestion” only for the purpose of asking which v11 installation file I should use. I have the one I downloaded on June 15, 2010, and I found a different one in your “oldver” directory last week. Given the discovery of your reply, I’d very much appreciate a clear identification as to which one to use.
=========================
Downloaded June 15, 2010
tcmdle.exe Version 11.0.49
3,976,568 bytes
CRC: 4B694002
MD5: caf85c41a7c832f66b77ffcfd786223b
=========================
ftp://jpsoft.com/oldver
tcmdle11.exe Version 11.0.52
3,978,184 bytes
CRC: 3B0AC1AC
MD5: b866557a4c8f67f763c1c2b4ec8c4573

I have only disdain for obtrusive, useless, unsolicited changes to my Computer, but can tolerate them once I find out how they can be corrected - in a straightforward manner. I’m confident that all I have to do is save off my custom TC/TCC files, uninstall the v11 suite, check a few non-JPSoft extensions in the Control Panel, reinstall the v11 suite, return my custom files, and make the one-and-only file association I need (.btm) in the Control Panel.

I look forward to your reply and to my continued satisfaction with JPSoft Software.

Take Command and TCC will absolutely, positively, NEVER change file associations. Not in the installer, not in the programs, not ever. (Unless, of course, you run ASSOC and FTYPE manually and change them yourself.)

If you manually run the optional tcmdbatch.btm or tccbatch.btm batch files, you will be prompted whether you want to associate .BAT, .BTM, and/or .CMD files with TCMD or TCC. No other extensions will ever be associated.

If you're referring to the file context menu (what you get when you right-click on a file on the desktop or in Explorer), the only way you can see TCMD and/or TCC in the menu is if you have manually run the (again optional) tcmdhere.btm or tcchere.btm batch files, which will ask you if you want to insert a "TCMD prompt here" or "TCC prompt here" context menu entry.

If you're referring to the "open with" option in the Explorer context menu, that list is populated internally in Windows, and Take Command and/or TCC does not (cannot) affect that.

Again, thank you for your earnest and sincere update. Unfortunately, though understandably, you lost sight of the subject "Remove TCC from Cntrl-Pnl Recommended list". I know you’re very busy; still, you did put a lot of time and effort into your update. And, in doing so you showed that you’re serious about addressing your Customer’s issues. I think a little obfuscation eschewing is in order.

This has NOTHING to do with file-associations or Context Menus.

1. From my initial entry - I attempted to clearly identify the issue and where it is manifested:
... I discovered in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types > Change > Recommended Programs -and- Other Programs, entries for “Take Command”, “TCC”, and “TCC LE”.
... I would like to know how to remove these entries ...

2. From your first update - you seemed aware of the subject:
... with Take Command or TCC. They didn't put those entries there ...

3. From my first update – I referred to Control-Panel Application CHOICES and file-association CHOICES. The nouns are "CHOICES":
... Control-Panel Application-choices ...
... the undesirable file-association choices ...

4. From your latest update - you addressed file-association changes, file Context-Menu entries and the Windows Explorer Context Menu, NONE of which were ever as much as hinted at in any of my updates (please see #1 above):
... Take Command and TCC will absolutely, positively, NEVER change file associations ...
... If you're referring to the file context menu ...
... If you're referring to the "open with" option in the Explorer context menu ...

Just like you, I too have better things to do than dink around all day with miscommunication and misunderstanding. So, I would like to direct your attention to #1 above and to the JPG picture that I'm going to attempt to append to this update. The picture shows examples of the "Other Programs" entries/CHOICES (see #1 above) that are the subject of this matter. The picture file size is 94.2 kB and 800x600 pixels. I can't tell from your Forum attachment-requirements table if the dashes mean "any" or if they're really quotation-marks in disguise. If the file is rejected for some reason, I'll make it an attachment to an Email to [email protected] which is an Email address I got from the person who introduced me to JPSoft Software. The Subject will be the same as that of this "Suggestion".

PLEASE let me know if you don't get the picture. I believe it will serve to show the "What" and "Where" that I've been unable to communicate with just words.

Regards,

Attachments

• JPSoft_Dec10_Take#3-45.jpg
    JPSoft_Dec10_Take#3-45.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 314
Again, thank you for your earnest and sincere update. Unfortunately, though understandably, you lost sight of the subject "Remove TCC from Cntrl-Pnl Recommended list". I know you’re very busy; still, you did put a lot of time and effort into your update.

To recap my previous replies:

* Take Command and TCC didn't put those entries there, Windows did.

* If you want to know how to remove them, you'll have to ask Microsoft. I have no idea how to do that (or if it's even possible).

I get it. I'm supposed to believe that Windows arbitrarily scattered JPSoft TC and TCC application choices to probably every extension in my PC. And my only recourse is to restore my PC to the Windows Backup/Restore Checkpoint that I created in June. And that's constant with the JPSoft definition of 'support'. Right?</O:p
<O:p

And, I suppose if I tried to open a 'Support' issue in the Forum, you'd block it as not being constant with the JPSoft definition of 'support'. Right?
</O:p

That's an Explorer feature. If once you use a program to "Open with" and it seems to succeed, Explorer will remember that program in the registry, whether it makes sense or not. As far as I know, the only way to remove it is by editing the registry. These entries live under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\....

Possibly of interest: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee851670.aspx

I get it. I'm supposed to believe that Windows arbitrarily scattered JPSoft TC and TCC application choices to probably every extension in my PC.

Yes, that's exactly what Windows did.

You can of course choose to believe something else if you don't wish to solve the problem. I believe Charles identified your issue in a followup message.
<O:p

And, I suppose if I tried to open a 'Support' issue in the Forum, you'd block it as not being constant with the JPSoft definition of 'support'. Right?

If you choose to open a support issue for a Windows problem, there's usually not much I can do to solve it for you.

One might look at LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications as well. This seems to be where the reccomended list is populated from.

You have garnered my respect and appreciation. My drawn-out and persistent research about this on the Internet has led me to believe that you are correct, and that this is not in the purview of JPSoft support.

I’ve written to a couple of old technical-support acquaintances of mine, and expect they will get back to me shortly. I also found an impressive Freeware utility that deals with customizing file-associations in the Control Panel and probably has knowledge of the “Other Programs” entries that I seek. I’m going to try to bribe them into helping me with this issue. I always pay for technical help, and always make contributions to websites that provide Freeware utilities that I use.

I’ll let you know what I find out.