Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Run as Admin tab in non-elevated Take Command session?

Hello:

I've been experimenting with Hidden Start to try to start an elevated cmd prompt from a nonelevated Take Command session, like you can do in ConEmu. I know there other ways of doing this besides Hidden Start... Task Manager, VBS, Powershell, although I'd prefer to avoid the UAC box, which some of those methods don't accommodate. I'm trying to do this from an Admin user account.

I've tried a bunch of different configurations, but the closest I've come so far is to have the Admin window open in a detached tab. I've even tried to launch an Admin session of Take Command and try to attach a non-Admin tab to Take Command with Hidden Start. This appears to result in an Admin CMD tab, not a non-Admin CMD tab.

Is there some way to do this? Or, do all attached windows in a Take Command session have to be Admin or non-Admin depending on whether Take Command was launched as Admin or non-Admin?

Thanks,

Paul

An elevated Take Command can attach a non-elevated console. The reverse is not true: if Take Command is not elevated, then it won't be able to attach to an elevated console.

How do we tell Take Command that we want a non-elevated Take Command tab attached to an elevated Take Command session?
The same way you'd attach an elevated console: Tabs / Attach... Or right-click in the empty area to the right of your tabs, and select "Attach Tabs."

You can't attach an elevated session to a non-elevated Take Command. (This is a Windows limitation, not TCMD.)

The only way TCMD could do this is to do what ConEmu does -- inject a dll into the console sessions, which (1) is a big no-no for corporate IT departments, (2) slows things down significantly, and (3) causes some antivirus / antimalware apps to object.

The same way you'd attach an elevated console: Tabs / Attach... Or right-click in the empty area to the right of your tabs, and select "Attach Tabs."

So, you're saying is to start a non-elevated console outside of Take Command and then you can attach that to the elevated Take Command console... is that correct?

You can also start TCC unelevated directly in an elevated TCMD using a toolbar button (as I did below) or from Tabs\Run, by entering your username and password. Here's a pic of an elevated TCMD and an unelevated TCC started with the "test" toolbar button.
1522983213244.png

You can also start TCC unelevated directly in an elevated TCMD using a toolbar button (as I did below) or from Tabs\Run, by entering your username and password.
... Or you can be all elegant, like Vincent.

You can also start TCC unelevated directly in an elevated TCMD using a toolbar button (as I did below) or from Tabs\Run, by entering your username and password. Here's a pic of an elevated TCMD and an unelevated TCC started with the "test" toolbar button.

There may be a problem with that, TCMD doesn't seem to save user/password for toolbar buttons. Rex, is it supposed to save those things?