1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SafeChars: Escaped version of @unsafe

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by thedave, Jun 28, 2014.

1. thedave

Howdy!

I've been using SafeChars but I'm trying to figure out a way to safely rename a file to it's "dangerous" (non-unicode) version. Maybe there's a better way?

@unsafe gets me close, but if the string contains double quotes, it can break out and cause carnage. I think a possible way to fix this would be an @unsafeescaped command that would change safe versions of characters to escaped unsafe characters.

So for example, "echo %@unsafeescaped[This %_AMP That]" would return "This %=& That" (with a normal/dangerous ampersand that has been neutered with a %=)

Is there a better approach?

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe.... I'll play with in Monday.

3. Charles Dye

Staff Member

Or perhaps one that returned the unsafe string between strong quotes? That way, the only character which would need further attention would be the backquote character itself....

4. Steve Fabian

I think by "strong quote" you mean "backtick". Right guess?

5. Charles Dye

Staff Member

Yes. (Or maybe it's a grave accent. Or a backspark, or whatever you call ASCII 96.)

6. Charles Dye

Staff Member

7. Jay Sage

I have not quite grasped how to use this plugin.

For example, if I have a file with the name My%=20File.txt and I want to rename it to My_File.txt, how would I use safechars to do it? What if I want to define an alias or btm that will take the original file name as an argument and rename it with occurrences of %=20 changed to underscores.

Perhaps that is not what safechars is for. I do see how it can be used to process the contents of a file or the clipboard or some other readable item that was created outside of TCC and that contains problem characters.

8. Charles Dye

Staff Member

Have you looked at FixNames?