1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCRIPT Command

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe Caverly, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Joe Caverly

Hi,
    I am using TCC 11.00.52 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600], TCC Build 52 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3.

I have been using CSCRIPT within my .BTM files to execute .xbs scripts for quite some time, and all works well.

I decided today to try the internal SCRIPT command. I verified that SCRIPT is indeed an internal command by doing the following;

Code:
    which script
    script is an internal command

When I run the SCRIPT command by itself, it produces the following;

Code:
    XML
    XBScript
    VBScript
    VBScript.Encode
    JScript
    JScript.Encode
    PerlScript

Seeing that the SCRIPT command recognizes the XBScript, I tried to use it in a .btm as follows;

Code:
    script /E xbscript lcba.xbs
    Well, that didn't work. Next, I tried

Code:
    script lcba.xbs
    Ditto, did not work. When I say "did not work", I mean that no output was displayed on the console, and the execution time is rapid, meaning did not work.

If I use;

Code:
    cscript lcba.xbs
    the script runs without any problems, reads the database, and outputs the desired results to the console.

Am I using the syntax correctly with the SCRIPT command to execute my .xbs files?

Here is a sample, test.xbs

Code:
    #include "wsh.ch"

? "Welcome to XBScript"

Running this with CSCRIPT works, but not with SCRIPT.

Joe

2. Steve Pitts

I cannot comment on your specific issue, because I don't have XBScript in my list of script engines, but a little messing around here suggests that CSCRIPT will search the path for the given filename but SCRIPT does not. Have you tried a fully-qualified filename on your SCRIPT command??

Update: actually, I take that back. Both commands require a fully-qualified filename unless the script file is in the current directory. Ignore me.

FWIW I can get both commands to give similar results with a JScript file, so perhaps there is an issue with the XBScript engine??

3. Steve Pitts

After further messing around I am rather confused by what SCRIPT is actually doing. If I run a JScript or VBScript via WSH (either directly using Explorer and extension associations or via CSCRIPT) then the engine instantiates a top-level object called WScript. If I do so via the SCRIPT command then that object is called shell. Thus far I cannot find a way to write a script in either language that works in both contexts.