Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentation "Select" command switch order incorrect

Jul
The help documentation shows switch order:

SELECT [/1 /A[[:][-][+]rhsadecijopt] /C /D /E /H /I"text" /J /L /O........
which doesn't work as documented

Code:
D:\bat>select /a:-r /i"[]" describe (*)
TCC: (Sys) The parameter is incorrect.
"i"[]""
Usage : SELECT [/A[[:][-][+]rhsdaecjot] /CDEH /I"text" /JL /O[[:][-]acdeginorsu] /Q /T:acw /XZ /1] [command ] ... (files...) ...

D:\bat>select /a:-r /i"*4nt*" describe (*)
TCC: (Sys) The parameter is incorrect.
 "i"*4nt*""
Usage : SELECT [/A[[:][-][+]rhsdaecjot] /CDEH /I"text" /JL /O[[:][-]acdeginorsu] /Q /T:acw /XZ /1] [command ] ... (files...) ...
Using the following order works.

Code:
D:\bat>select /i"[]" /a:-r describe (*)

D:\bat>select /i"*4nt*" /1 describe (*)

D:\bat>select /i"*4nt*" /a:-r describe (*)
I also tested the /1 /c /d /e /h switches and received the same error message when they proceed
/I"text".
Recommend the /i"text" precede the /1 /A... /C /D /E /H in the docs.

This issue exists with both V16.03.55 x64 and V17.00.53 x64

So I changed them to be in alphabetical order, and nobody's complained since (until now).

That is perhaps fine for the listing at the beginning of the help (under "Format"), but there ought at least to be a note somewhere (probably right under that and certainly with the description of the individual switch) explaining any special requirement on the order. If I remember correctly, you do that for the range switches.

In fact, it might be good to have a section after "Format" section that explains any limitations on the order of parameters and switches for any commands with such limitations.

That is perhaps fine for the listing at the beginning of the help (under "Format"), but there ought at least to be a note somewhere (probably right under that and certainly with the description of the individual switch) explaining any special requirement on the order. If I remember correctly, you do that for the range switches.

In fact, it might be good to have a section after "Format" section that explains any limitations on the order of parameters and switches for any commands with such limitations.

It already does -- /I is a range, and the help for SELECT says "Ranges must appear immediately after the SELECT keyword."

WAD -- once upon a time I put the options in the order of their use, and got endless complaints & bug reports that the options were missing or out of order. So I changed them to be in alphabetical order, and nobody's complained since (until now).

Not intended as a complaint, just trying to offer constructive suggestions. :coldfeet:

It already does -- /I is a range, and the help for SELECT says "Ranges must appear immediately after the SELECT keyword."
Ok, my OP has apparently caused more controversy than necessary considering the intent is to offer suggestions that improve TCMD/TCC.

We have already typed more lines of text than would have been required to clarify the help. I totally missed the fact that /I is a description range documented in : TCC > File Selection > Ranges > Description Ranges.

Enough said, it is your product, so do what you think best. :cool: