Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Selecting test "off by one" problem in Take command

Nov
When selecting text, if I start in the left right half of the character box that character doesn't get selected.

This seems a small thing, but it's amazing how often I run into this when selecting text, and it's irritating when it does.. The problem doesn't happen in Windows' console windows.

Win10 x64, TC v26.01.40

I'm attaching 2 screencaps to illustrate - I start the selection action at the tip of the small "r" character to zero in on the left right half of that character's box.

TC26 select:
TC26.text.select.gif

cmd select:

CMD.text.select.gif

Last edited:
I think you're seeing a fundamental difference between selection in a GUI app (TakeCommand, notepad) and selection in a console (CMD).

In a GUI app, in order to include the start character in the selection, you must start in its left half and select to the right (or start in its right half and select to the left). In a console, the start character is included regardless of where in it you start.

When I look closely at yout TC video, it appears that you start the selection in the right half of the character cell.

To see this in an exaggerated fashion, in TakeCommand or notepad, set the font size to 72 and type |||| (vertical line) ... then try the selection experiment.

The funny thing about TakeCommand is that if I start the selection in the right half of a character, and select to the right, that character is selected at first, but becomes un-selected when the pointer moves to the next character. In notepad, if you start selecting in the right half of a character and select to the right, that character is not selected at all (not even momentarily).

When I want to see where to being selecting text, I sometimes use Windows Magnifier on my Windows 10 system.

Joe

@vefatica: you are correctly describing exactly what's going on (I confusingly mixed up left and right in my original post).

I would prefer that Take Command behave like the console if at all possible, even if it is a GUI app. Having to zero in on a particular half of a character in order to get the proper selection is a pain and is getting more and more difficult as my eyesight deteriorates over time.

I could use magnifier to help, but that would probably be more of a pain than just redoing the selection when I happen to get it wrong.

Having to zero in on a particular half of a character in order to get the proper selection is a pain
Actually, the width of the starting point is the width of a whole character. If you have ABCD and you want to select BCD, you can start anywhere between the middle of A and the middle of B. And, at the beginning of a line, TakeCommand seems to have a bit of a "buffer" (maybe even half a character). So, wanting to select to the right, aiming for the left side of the first character you want ought to work well.