1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHORTCUT behavior (Win7)

Discussion in 'Support' started by vefatica, Sep 5, 2011.

1. vefatica

If I use Explorer (drag) to create a shortcut to z:\users\vefatica and invoke that shortcut (with Explorer or TCC) Explorer has the full path in it's location bar and caption (and I can navigate upwards).

If I create the shortcut with TCC's SHORTCUT then, no matter how I invoke it, the Explorer windows is rooted at "vefatica" (and I cannot navigate upwards).

I prefer the first behavior above.

And if I "START z:\users\vefatica" I get an Explorer window rooted at "vefatica" (and I'd rather it were not rooted there).

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

You'll have to redirect your request to Microsoft -- there isn't any method in the COM shell interface to do that.

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing TCC can do about that either -- it's just passing the directory name and an "open" to ShellExecute, and then it's all up to Explorer.

4. vefatica

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:34:02 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
    |If I use Explorer (drag) to create a shortcut to z:\users\vefatica and invoke that shortcut (with Explorer or TCC) Explorer has the full path in it's location bar and caption (and I can navigate upwards).
    |
    |If I create the shortcut with TCC's SHORTCUT then, no matter how I invoke it, the Explorer windows is rooted at "vefatica" (and I cannot navigate upwards).
    |---End Quote---
    |
    |You'll have to redirect your request to Microsoft -- there isn't any method in the COM shell interface to do that.

Yeah, I figured that after having a look at IShellLink. I wouldn't be surprised
    if the behavior of the Explorer-made shortcut is an oversight on the part of MS
    (since they have otherwise gone out of their way to make a user's profile
    directory do crazy things). I have asked about this in one of the TechNet
    groups.