Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SHORTCUT behavior (Win7)

May
If I use Explorer (drag) to create a shortcut to z:\users\vefatica and invoke that shortcut (with Explorer or TCC) Explorer has the full path in it's location bar and caption (and I can navigate upwards).

If I create the shortcut with TCC's SHORTCUT then, no matter how I invoke it, the Explorer windows is rooted at "vefatica" (and I cannot navigate upwards).

I prefer the first behavior above.

And if I "START z:\users\vefatica" I get an Explorer window rooted at "vefatica" (and I'd rather it were not rooted there).

If I use Explorer (drag) to create a shortcut to z:\users\vefatica and invoke that shortcut (with Explorer or TCC) Explorer has the full path in it's location bar and caption (and I can navigate upwards).

If I create the shortcut with TCC's SHORTCUT then, no matter how I invoke it, the Explorer windows is rooted at "vefatica" (and I cannot navigate upwards).

You'll have to redirect your request to Microsoft -- there isn't any method in the COM shell interface to do that.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:34:02 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|If I use Explorer (drag) to create a shortcut to z:\users\vefatica and invoke that shortcut (with Explorer or TCC) Explorer has the full path in it's location bar and caption (and I can navigate upwards).
|
|If I create the shortcut with TCC's SHORTCUT then, no matter how I invoke it, the Explorer windows is rooted at "vefatica" (and I cannot navigate upwards).
|---End Quote---
|
|You'll have to redirect your request to Microsoft -- there isn't any method in the COM shell interface to do that.

Yeah, I figured that after having a look at IShellLink. I wouldn't be surprised
if the behavior of the Explorer-made shortcut is an oversight on the part of MS
(since they have otherwise gone out of their way to make a user's profile
directory do crazy things). I have asked about this in one of the TechNet
groups.