Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slightly off horizonal scrolling in TCC

Jun
I'm using TCC 16.03.55 on windows 7 64-bit. I've got a TCC window that is set to a screen buffer size of 512 width, and a window size of 150. That means that if the text output it wider than 150, it will still fit in the window, but some of it will be off to the right, for which I can scroll over to see it. I've also set my prompt to $[$d @ $t]:$* $P *$_-$g

I've got an alias to display file information called vdxq. It is set to pdir /a-d /(-46.46fn -17.17@VerInfo["",FileVersion] dm/d/y th:m:s 11.11@FileSize[,bc] fp). It works fine, but if it's presenting information that is wider than 150, such that the information would have to be scrolled to be seen, when its output is complete and I'm returned to the command prompt, the window is shifted by two characters, such that I don't see the '->' part of the multiline prompt. True, I can easily scroll left the two characters, and everything looks right again, but it sure would be nice if this didn't happen.

Is there something I need to set, maybe an option, or maybe something additional within my prompt string, to alleviate this issue?

Is this a TCC console window, or a TCMD tab window?

TCC console window. I rarely ever use TCMD. However, just for testing purposes, I tried it just now. The window doesn't have a scroll bar. Instead, it wraps its output. The prompt appears properly.

And if I didn't make it clear above, the prompt in the TCC window appears properly for the case where the output of the prior command didn't exceed the window length, causing scrolling.

Rats. I kind of suspected that, but thought I would post anyway.

Is there any way to force the window to scroll all of the way left? If so, maybe it could be embedded into the prompt string as an @exec[] or @execstr[] call?

Is there any way to force the window to scroll all of the way left? If so, maybe it could be embedded into the prompt string as an @exec[] or @execstr[] call?
I seem to recall something of the sort in Vincent's 4CONSOLE plugin ...?

Hmm... I'll have to dig for that. Never used any plugins before, but I'm sure I can figure it out. If I make any headway, I'll update this thread. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Just look at my avatar!

When I click on the link to 4Console64 on the Third-Party Plugins page, it always says that the site times out. The page it's trying to get to is ftp://vefatica.net/4plugins/X64/4console64.zip. Vince, is your FTP server up and running? Or did the link change, and it wasn't updated on the jpsoft page?
Yes, the server at vefatica.net (71.176.103.102) is running. It and the Windows firewall block much of the world known to be in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. If you still can't reach it, let me know your IP.

I can't help you with that -- all the console window display & scrolling is handled by Windows, not TCC. TCC doesn't know (or care) if it's scrolled.
That said, it is version dependent (on Win7/32). After the console has scrolled horizonlally to reveal long lines ... and a new prompt is issued ... up to and including v21, the console scrolls horizontally so that the cursor (insertion point) is in the first column effectively hiding the prompt ... with v22 and later it scrolls all the way to the left edge of the console screen buffer.

Yes, the server at vefatica.net (71.176.103.102) is running. It and the Windows firewall block much of the world known to be in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. If you still can't reach it, let me know your IP.

I tried to get it from my work computer (which is behind its own firewall, and its IP address may be redirected), and also from my home computer, which is just the basic firewall situation, no redirection or spoofing or masking. Perhaps it could be attached to this thread? (I hope that's not an inappropriate use of this forum.) I need the version for TCC v16.3, and it's for Windows 7 64-bit, and if I need it at home, that's Windows 10 64-bit, again v16.3.

Rats. I kind of suspected that, but thought I would post anyway.

Using the Prompt I used to set the cursor on the last line of my monitor, thus fixing the position I had to look for it. I found this more ergonomical.
Using ANSI ESC sequencies in your Prompt, it should be possible to return the cursor to position 1. A list of Esc sequences can be found in TCMD Help, here <ANSI/VT100 Terminal Control> and in other places.

I missed this post yesterday. There's no fix for this in 4CONSOLE. Charles, you may be thinking of the feature wherein Alt-Left/Right would, depending on the state of ScrollLock, either scroll the console horizontally or cycle through the existing TCC consoles.

Mickeyf, if you still want it, I could post it but I'd rather figure out why you can't access ftp.vefatica.net.

Putting this at the beginning of my prompt (and using ANSI) makes this problem go away.
Code:
$e[D

Mickeyf, if you still want it, I could post it but I'd rather figure out why you can't access ftp.vefatica.net.

No need any longer for you to post it, now that you've provided this solution. But if you want me to help figure out why I can't access your ftp server, we can pursue that.

As for the IP block and helping you to figure out why I'm blocked, how do I determine what IP address is presented to your server? I know ipconfig program can tell me my IP address, but that's what is presented internally. I don't believe that's what you will see.

Note that I can ping your server just fine.

Could the problem possibly be that some setting on my end is blocking my attempt to access your ftp server? I know that at one point I couldn't use FileZilla to access a business partner's FTP server, and they had to open something for me to be able to do that. But I thought they opened it up for all FTP access. Perhaps they only opened it up for that one organization's FTP server? Any pointers you can provide for me to further investigate would be appreciated.