1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SndVool and Audio Policies

Discussion in 'Support' started by vefatica, Aug 10, 2011.

  1. vefatica

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    7,785
    Likes Received:
    29
    With Windows 7 I have occasionally seen, in SndVol, a slider for TCC. Right now, I don't see it and can't figure out how to get it there. Does anyone know how?

    And I discovered in the registry an AudioPolicyConfigPropertyStore with a key for TCC, apparently there to remember app-specific settings.

    Do I have any control over these things?
     
  2. TEA-Time

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    282
    Likes Received:
    1
    A slider for a program usually shows up in the mixer once it makes a sound. Perhaps you used PLAYSOUND? BEEP and MSGBOX don't seem to do the trick. They register in the mixer as a System Sound.
     
  3. vefatica

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    7,785
    Likes Received:
    29
    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:38:49 -0400, vefatica <> wrote:

    |With Windows 7 I have occasionally seen, in SndVol, a slider for TCC. Right now, I don't see it and can't figure out how to get it there. Does anyone know how?
    |
    |And I discovered in the registry an AudioPolicyConfigPropertyStore with a key for TCC, apparently there to remember app-specific settings.
    |
    |Do I have any control over these things?

    I figured it out, at least partially. If SndVol is running when TCC uses
    PLAYSOUND, a TCC slider will show up in SndVol. The setting made there is
    remembered even after SndVol and TCC are closed. Is there any manual access to
    these remembered settings?
     
  4. vefatica

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    7,785
    Likes Received:
    29
    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:57:11 -0400, TEA-Time <> wrote:

    |A slider for a program usually shows up in the mixer once it makes a sound. Perhaps you used PLAYSOUND? BEEP and MSGBOX don't seem to do the trick. They register in the mixer as a System Sound.

    Yeah, see my other post. I failed to mention ... PLAYSOUND does it, BEEP
    EXCLAMATION doesn't. I wonder what the difference is.
     
  5. TEA-Time

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    282
    Likes Received:
    1
    Not that I've been able to find.

    Since they register as a System Sound, I'm guessing TCC passes the BEEP "events" off to Windows.
     
  6. vefatica

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    7,785
    Likes Received:
    29
    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:31:05 -0400, TEA-Time <> wrote:

    |Since they register as a System Sound, I'm guessing TCC passes the BEEP "events" off to Windows.

    ... passes it off to windows in the sense that BEEP calls the API MessageBeep()
    (I'm guessing) which is probably not nearly as robust as the (multi-media?)
    functions used by PLAYSOUND (I'm guessing again).
     
  7. Steve Pitts

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0
    FWIW (which may not be a lot) I do see TCC added to the Volume Mixer when the BEEP command is used.

    TCC 12.11.73 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
    TCC Build 73 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
     
  8. vefatica

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    7,785
    Likes Received:
    29
    Hmmm! I tried several more times. PLAYSOUND will do it; BEEP won't. I have the same Windows as Steve.
     

Share This Page