Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

start /wait

May
Hello all,

With the latest release or two, I've noticed a difference in start /wait. I have the following alias:

for %x in (c:\users\michael.d.fross\configfiles\FreeFileSync\*.ffs_gui) start /wait %x

This previously would launch one instance of FreeFileSync (the associated program) with a file in the given directory, and when I closed it, another would open until all files were processed.

However, currently all open at the same time. From what I've read from the help, I'm not sure if it's now doing what it's supposed to do or if it used to do what it was supposed to do. Running with or without "/wait" yields the same result.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks everyone,

Michael

Has anyone else noticed this?
FWIW I cannot reproduce this using a simple example relying on the .TXT association with Notepad. I have to quit Notepad each time before the next text file is opened. I suspect that the behaviour depends more on the program being called than TC (I see the same as you if I start Kedit instead of Notepad, but that is really expected because once the file is loaded into Kedit's ring it has successfully processed the request). Are you sure that it isn't a change in FreeFileSync rather than one in TC??

(FWIW I see the following entry in the changelog for v3.17, released on 21 May: "Launcher automatically selecting 32/64 bit executable on startup" which sounds like the sort of thing that might impact this area)

BTW how do you find FreeFileSync to use?? I've been experimenting with Microsoft's SyncToy in an attempt to keep a handful of user folders on my three machines synchronised via a NAS box and I'm getting frustrated by one or two limitations, specifically how it handles a file that has been updated on two machines between sync runs.

FWIW I cannot reproduce this using a simple example relying on the .TXT association with Notepad. I have to quit Notepad each time before the next text file is opened. I suspect that the behaviour depends more on the program being called than TC (I see the same as you if I start Kedit instead of Notepad, but that is really expected because once the file is loaded into Kedit's ring it has successfully processed the request). Are you sure that it isn't a change in FreeFileSync rather than one in TC??
Hello Steve,

It very well may be the app. I'll play around with it and see if I can find a better way. I just did a notepad test and you are right, it seemed to work as I thought it would.

BTW how do you find FreeFileSync to use?? I've been experimenting with Microsoft's SyncToy in an attempt to keep a handful of user folders on my three machines synchronised via a NAS box and I'm getting frustrated by one or two limitations, specifically how it handles a file that has been updated on two machines between sync runs.

I like FreeFileSync. I looked at a lot of them, including SyncToy, and this was my favorite. It's small and simple. The only main drawback in my opinion, it that there is no "central console" where all jobs are listed. I use the alias mentioned to sync dirs between machines.

As for dual changes, it will show both in the GUI with a icon that shows that both had changed. You have to click to the right or left of it to tell it which way to go.

It free open source software. Give it a try.

Thanks for your response.

Michael

It very well may be the app. I'll play around with it and see if I can find a better way. I just did a notepad test and you are right, it seemed to work as I thought it would.

The START /WAIT option will wait for the child process to close before continuing. TCC doesn't have any way of knowing if the child process has started another process and then exited.