Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? START without an extra window?

Oct
When using START in a .btm, is there a way to have it not open an empty TCC window in addition to the window for the application being opened?

I have several applications that generate a number of .txt and .csv files and then they use START commands to open 1 in Notepad++ and 2 in separate instances of LibreOffice Scalc. When they open, in addition to opening 1 document as a text file and 2 as spreadsheets, I also get three additional empty windows, one for the Notepad++ file and 2 for the Scalc files.

So I wind up with 7 windows: 1 for TCC, 1 for Notepad++, 2 for Scalc plus 3 empty. I can't use the /B option because I need to compare data between the text file and spreadsheets.

That sounds strange. START should not open a console window for a GUI program. What do your START commands look like?

I don't get a separate console window, I get an extra empty window. If I close the window with the application that was STARTed, both the application window and the extra window close.

START "%@name[%Combo_CSV]" /C /PGM "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\program\scalc.exe" %Combo_CSV

START "%@name[%JUNK_CSV]" /C /PGM "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\program\scalc.exe" %JUNK_CSV

START "NEW ACCOUNTS" /C /PGM %Text_Editor %NEW_ACCTS_TXT

START "NEW FILES STATS" /C /PGM %Text_Editor %STATS_TXT

Because %Text_Editor is Notepad++.exe, "NEW ACCOUNTS" opens Notepad++ (and an empty window) and "NEW FILES" just opens a second tab rather than any additional windows.

I don't think you should be using "/C". That starts another TCC.EXE (the empty window) and that TCC.EXE starts %Text_Editor and waits for it to exit (then exits itself). If you want the BTM you're running to wait for the editor to exit, use "/WAIT" (not "/C") in the START command.

Thanks! I'd say that the description in the TCC help is misleading: /C Start the program in a new TCC window and close the TCC window when the application ends.

I'll put in a suggestion to change the help.

Thanks! I'd say that the description in the TCC help is misleading: /C Start the program in a new TCC window and close the TCC window when the application ends.

I'll put in a suggestion to change the help.
As you found out, "/C" is not for starting a GUI program. You can't start a GUI program in a TCC window (new or otherwise). It's for starting a console program when you want it running under TCC, but not under you're current TCC.

I suspect that /C and /K are really options to TCC.EXE itself. The START command just recognizes them as the start of the args to pass on to the new shell. (Does that make any sense, or does it just confuse matters further?)

Back