How to? START without an extra window?

Oct 18, 2009
When using START in a .btm, is there a way to have it not open an empty TCC window in addition to the window for the application being opened?

I have several applications that generate a number of .txt and .csv files and then they use START commands to open 1 in Notepad++ and 2 in separate instances of LibreOffice Scalc. When they open, in addition to opening 1 document as a text file and 2 as spreadsheets, I also get three additional empty windows, one for the Notepad++ file and 2 for the Scalc files.

So I wind up with 7 windows: 1 for TCC, 1 for Notepad++, 2 for Scalc plus 3 empty. I can't use the /B option because I need to compare data between the text file and spreadsheets.

Oct 18, 2009
I don't get a separate console window, I get an extra empty window. If I close the window with the application that was STARTed, both the application window and the extra window close.

START "%@name[%Combo_CSV]" /C /PGM "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\program\scalc.exe" %Combo_CSV

START "%@name[%JUNK_CSV]" /C /PGM "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\program\scalc.exe" %JUNK_CSV

START "NEW ACCOUNTS" /C /PGM %Text_Editor %NEW_ACCTS_TXT

START "NEW FILES STATS" /C /PGM %Text_Editor %STATS_TXT

Because %Text_Editor is Notepad++.exe, "NEW ACCOUNTS" opens Notepad++ (and an empty window) and "NEW FILES" just opens a second tab rather than any additional windows.

I don't think you should be using "/C". That starts another TCC.EXE (the empty window) and that TCC.EXE starts %Text_Editor and waits for it to exit (then exits itself). If you want the BTM you're running to wait for the editor to exit, use "/WAIT" (not "/C") in the START command.

Oct 18, 2009
Thanks! I'd say that the description in the TCC help is misleading: /C Start the program in a new TCC window and close the TCC window when the application ends.

I'll put in a suggestion to change the help.

Thanks! I'd say that the description in the TCC help is misleading: /C Start the program in a new TCC window and close the TCC window when the application ends.

I'll put in a suggestion to change the help.
As you found out, "/C" is not for starting a GUI program. You can't start a GUI program in a TCC window (new or otherwise). It's for starting a console program when you want it running under TCC, but not under you're current TCC.