Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Starting Terminal from TakeCommand

samintz

Scott Mintz
May
There is something special about the way Microsoft's new Terminal preview gets launched. I cannot run the executable directly. And when I create a shortcut on my desktop, TCC is unable to decode it.
Code:
$ shortcut "C:\Users\mintz\Desktop\Windows Terminal (Preview).lnk"
Command=
Arguments=
Directory=
Description=
Link=C:\Users\mintz\Desktop\Windows Terminal (Preview).lnk
Icon=
Offset=0
Mode=1
Hotkey=

I can create a button and put the LNK file in the button. I cannot run Terminal within a TakeCommand Tab. I realize not all GUI apps can run in a tab. But I wanted to see if it would.

Hey @samintz try the Windows Terminal stable release instead of the preview release.

The stable release is at Windows Terminal v1.0.1401.0

The preview release can also be installed with the stable release, but I prefer just the stable release.

On my system, I can run Windows Terminal from TCC by changing to directory;
Code:
c:\users\joe caverly\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps>
then run
Code:
wt.exe

Joe

I see both 1401 and 1402 in my windowsapps directory. Thank you for that. I can run WT from the command line and it launches correctly. Although it is not treated as a GUI app. It does not return the TCC prompt until I exit Terminal. START works though.

However, it fails miserably if I create a Button in TakeCommand to launch WT. Watching my ProcessHacker window, I see it starts correctly, but when Tcmd tries to AttachConsole it crashes the Terminal app, OpenConsole.exe, and TCC.exe (or Powershell)

I see both 1401 and 1402 in my windowsapps directory. Thank you for that. I can run WT from the command line and it launches correctly. Although it is not treated as a GUI app. It does not return the TCC prompt until I exit Terminal. START works though.

It seems to be installed much like the store version of Office 2019. Here, TCC waits for WinWord, Excel, ... I complained about that and even posted some code that could tell that they are GUI apps. It hasn't been fixed.

What does "WHICH /A WT.EXE" say?

If I install the stable version, will it in any way interfere with the normal console?