Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

strange error in alias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug

C:\Windows\System32]alias kill 'c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe /im %1 /t /f'

[C:\Windows\System32]kill
TCC: Unknown command "'c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe"

taskkill is a Vista command, and when I try to create an alias called "kill" to invoke the command, I get the above error. I can type "taskkill" at the command prompt and I get the usual info about the command, but when I try to use the alias it's as if the taskkill command isn't found

C:\Windows\System32]alias kill 'c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe /im %1 /t /f'

[C:\Windows\System32]kill
TCC: Unknown command "'c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe"

taskkill is a Vista command, and when I try to create an alias called "kill" to invoke the command, I get the above error. I can type "taskkill" at the command prompt and I get the usual info about the command, but when I try to use the alias it's as if the taskkill command isn't found

I think what you're seeing is the result of the redirection in 64bit Windows. See Rex's response in this thread:

http://jpsoft.com/forums/support/3373-different-results-between-tcmd-cmd.html

Sorry, I guess I should have stated that I am running TCMD 64-bit.

Interestingly, if I put the same text into a btm file, it works fine. It seems that only the alias won't work.

Tom

Sorry, I guess I should have stated that I am running TCMD 64-bit.

Interestingly, if I put the same text into a btm file, it works fine. It seems that only the alias won't work.

Tom

Oh.. it's the single quotes you have around everything. Remove them and it should work fine.

Oh.. it's the single quotes you have around everything. Remove them and it should work fine.

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]alias kill taskkill.exe /im %1 /t /f

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]kill deskpins.exe
ERROR: Invalid syntax. Value expected for '/im'.
Type "TASKKILL /?" for usage.

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]alias kill taskkill.exe /im %1 /t /f

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]kill deskpins.exe
ERROR: Invalid syntax. Value expected for '/im'.
Type "TASKKILL /?" for usage.

Ok, you've got it running. :) But when you pass it the /im switch, it expects it to be followed by a value. Even without being in a alias, taskkill /im will give you the same error. It's when you run it without any parameters that it spits out the help.

Ok, you've got it running. :) But when you pass it the /im switch, it expects it to be followed by a value. Even without being in a alias, taskkill /im will give you the same error. It's when you run it without any parameters that it spits out the help.

The strange thing is, the %1 that I define into the alias is not stored. If I print out the alias the %1 is gone, so how do I pass a parameter to an alias on the command line?

I want to "kill deskpins.exe" but when I type it as a command, the alias doesn't contain the %1 so there's no place for the parameter to get passed.

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]alias kill taskkill /im %1 /t /f

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD13x64]alias kill
taskkill /im /t /f

notice the missing %1

The strange thing is, the %1 that I define into the alias is not stored. If I print out the alias the %1 is gone, so how do I pass a parameter to an alias on the command line?

I want to "kill deskpins.exe" but when I type it as a command, the alias doesn't contain the %1 so there's no place for the parameter to get passed.

Ah.. ok, that helps me understand what else I missed. Double up the percent like so:

alias kill c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe /im %%1 /t /f

> I want to "kill deskpins.exe" but when I type it as a command, the alias
> doesn't contain the %1 so there's no place for the parameter to get passed.
>
You need to surround the alias with back quotes when you create it so that no
expansion or substitution is done until the alias is run:

alias kill `c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe /im %1 /t /f`

Status
Not open for further replies.