Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

System slow with TCC LE x64

Oct
Installed TCC LE x64 13.0, and soon found severe system slowdown.
Reverted to TCC LE 12.10, and the problem appears to be gone.
Now running TCC LE 13.0 (32-bit version), and no slowdown.

This may be idiosyncratic. I've had a problem with one other 64-bit application apparently locking up CPU usage; in that case too the problem does not occur with a 32-bit version of the same program.

My system is 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium running on HP s5220y, Pentium Dual-Core, 4GB memory installed.
TCC is installed in separate (non-default) directories -- ver 12 in c:\tcc\, 64-bit in c:\t64\, 32-bit ver 13 in c:\t13\.
(That shouldn't matter; I mention it in case of some possible accidental relevance.)

Norm

Installed TCC LE x64 13.0, and soon found severe system slowdown.
Reverted to TCC LE 12.10, and the problem appears to be gone.

Not reproducible here. TCC is simply sitting inside a Windows API waiting for Windows to tell it a key is available. I think you've got some other problem (perhaps a third-party app injecting code into 64-bit apps?).

I had resigned myself to leaving the mystery unsolved, until your response spurred me to dig a little deeper. Thanks to that spur I've figured out what triggers the problem, which means I know how to avoid it.

I bet you can reproduce it by doing what I was doing, as follows:
(1) Reboot, then start 32-bit TCC/LE. (I don't do anything without my TCC in place!)
(2) Work for a while (no problem).
(3) Force Sleep mode, or take a break until system enters Sleep mode.
(4) Wake from Sleep mode ... do whatever (still no problem).
(5) Stop (Exit) TCC/LE, then start 64-bit TCC/LE ... (still no problem).
(6) Force Sleep mode, or take a break until system enters Sleep mode.
(7) Wake from Sleep mode ... Task Manager shows CPU Usage 50% -- i.e., one processor 100% busy!

I don't know much about Windows internals, but I'm guessing that the Sleep/Wake process leads to confusion when there are two DLL's (one 32-bit, the other 64-bit) with the same name in use during the same Windows session.

Now that I've found out how NOT to reproduce the problem, I just start 64-bit TCC/LE (after rebooting) and go happily on my way!
Norm

I've never seen Windows act right after being put to sleep. After my work laptop has been put to sleep and then woken back up, it tells me it's ok to remove COM1, which also appears in the Safely Remove list. I'm still trying to figure out how to accomplish the actual ejection of COM1. Heh

I've never seen Windows act right after being put to sleep. After my work laptop has been put to sleep and then woken back up, it tells me it's ok to remove COM1, which also appears in the Safely Remove list. I'm still trying to figure out how to accomplish the actual ejection of COM1. Heh

Aaaaah, but is it a 25-pin COM1 or a 9-pin COM1 one? Not the same... ;-)