Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Take Command 1.0 build 75 uploaded

I've uploaded 10.0.75 to the web and ftp sites. There is a minor fix for RD /S error reporting, but the primary purpose is to avoid false positives being returned by a few (overzealous?) antivirus apps that were updated yesterday.

No Virus found :-)
Thanks

I've uploaded 10.0.75 to the web and ftp sites. There is a minor fix for RD /S error reporting, but the primary purpose is to avoid false positives being returned by a few (overzealous?) antivirus apps that were updated yesterday.

Arggh! It's good, Rex, that you built a versionto satisfy some of the antivirus apps, but the new build 75 got caught by AVG with the same, usual error as some previous builds:

File name: C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD10\TakeCmd.dll
Threat name: Virus found Win32/Heur

I'm reverting to build 74 and will try 76 when you release it.

You can't please everyone.

dcantor wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> I've uploaded 10.0.75 to the web and ftp sites. There is a minor fix for RD /S error reporting, but the primary purpose is to avoid false positives being returned by a few (overzealous?) antivirus apps that were updated yesterday.
> ---End Quote---
> Arggh! It's good, Rex, that you built a versionto satisfy some of the antivirus apps, but the new build 75 got caught by AVG with the same, usual error as some previous builds:
>
> File name: C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD10\TakeCmd.dll
> Threat name: Virus found Win32/Heur
>
> I'm reverting to build 74 and will try 76 when you release it.
>
> You can't please everyone.

Just the usual AVG screwup. (And since they won't accept bug reports or
false positives, not much I can do about it!)

If you insist on using AVG, why not just add an exception for TakeCmd.dll?

Rex Conn
JP Software

I use AVG 8.5.409 and it doesn't see any virus with ANY Take command product on my system.... dcantor what version of AVG are you seeing the virus with?
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 07:20 PM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-1319] Re: Take Command 1.0 build 75 uploaded

dcantor wrote:

Quote:
> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> I've uploaded 10.0.75 to the web and ftp sites. There is a minor fix for RD /S error reporting, but the primary purpose is to avoid false positives being returned by a few (overzealous?) antivirus apps that were updated yesterday.
> ---End Quote---
> Arggh! It's good, Rex, that you built a versionto satisfy some of the antivirus apps, but the new build 75 got caught by AVG with the same, usual error as some previous builds:
>
> File name: C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD10\TakeCmd.dll
> Threat name: Virus found Win32/Heur
>
> I'm reverting to build 74 and will try 76 when you release it.
>
> You can't please everyone.

Just the usual AVG screwup. (And since they won't accept bug reports or
false positives, not much I can do about it!)

If you insist on using AVG, why not just add an exception for TakeCmd.dll?

Rex Conn
JP Software

I use AVG 8.5.409 and it doesn't see any virus with ANY Take command product on my system.... dcantor what version of AVG are you seeing the virus with?

I'm using version 8.5.392, and it declares itself to be up-to-date.

For Rex: I don't usually report when this happens any more. I did this time only because you went through extra effort to avoid this kind of problem for the users of other similar products, and then AVG producing this error struck me as ironic.

AVG _did_ accept a bug report from me, but they declared the diagnosis as valid. I believed you, Rex, rather than them. I'll just wait for the next release.

If there was an important fix (for me) in a new version, and AVG flagged it, I would ask directly for a rebuild. That's not likely to happen, though.

I didn't mean it to sound like a serious complaint. I was just sharing the irony.

but the new build 75 got caught by AVG with the same, usual error as some previous builds:

File name: C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD10\TakeCmd.dll
Threat name: Virus found Win32/Heur

That isn't a virus signature; that's AVG applying its heuristics to guess if something might be a virus. Maybe you can tell AVG to not use heuristics.

That isn't a virus signature; that's AVG applying its heuristics to guess if something might be a virus. Maybe you can tell AVG to not use heuristics.
You can. It's found in
Tools > Advanced Settings > Resident Shield > Use Heuristics

Or, as I have done successfully, you can exclude TC in
Tools > Advanced Settings > PUP Exceptions
and also in
Tools > Advanced Settings > Resident Shield > Exceptions

Thank you. I found checkboxes to enable heuristics during scans and have unchecked them. I will reload build 75 and report back.

I did indeed remove the "use heuristics" settings in AVG, and then reinstalled Take Command bld 75. It works correctly.

Rex, one weird thing I noted is that when trying to install bld 75 (after having reverted to 74), it displayed the screen with choices for Modify, Repair, and Remove. I chose Repair (it was a guess), and it altered my build 74 installation to build 75. Is that the intended action?