Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fixed Take Command 14.0.20 fails

May
Installation of Take Command 14.0.20 appeared to succeed, but trying to run the resulting installation produced an error box "The procedure entry point InitializeProcThreadAttributeList could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

I deinstalled it, and reinstalled 14.0.20 with the same result.

I removed 14.0.20 again, and then I was able to successfully reinstall and run 14.0.19 without problem.

Windows XP Pro SP3.

While attempting to update from from 14.00.18 to 14.00.20 on my Win XP (SP3) system at work updated failed to download with an invalid file size. Have you back this update out?

Rex,

In MOST of the corporate world they are STILL running XP Pro and will not move from that version.

Rex,

In MOST of the corporate world they are STILL running XP Pro and will not move from that version.

If by "MOST" you mean "less than half", then I'd agree. Last survey I saw had < 30% of corporate users still clinging to their slow and hopelessly buggy XP. And most of the corporate world isn't buying any new software for their XP machines, so there's little to be lost by following Microsoft and abandoning XP. Conversely, there is a LOT to be gained by taking advantage of the new features in Windows 7 / 8 / Server 2008 / Server 2012. Trying to move forwards while maintaining backwards compatibility with XP is like trying to swim in the Olympics with an anvil chained to your ankle. The best you can hope for is a long chain and a lingering death.

Less than 15% of Take Command v13 users are running XP. (A bit higher for TCC/LE users, who are generally less sophisticated (and cheaper!), but TCC/LE won't be updated anyway.)

Try it again now.

Note that I will be dropping XP support forever in v14.10. There's just no excuse for anyone to be running such an antediluvian POS these days ...
Well, that gives me thought! I had intended to stay with XP until Microsoft drops support (in about two years from now). I will have to reconsider whether I really want to keep the license for TC v14.
It'll be a tough decision: spend money to go to Win 7, or freeze my use of TC at V13.

I will retry v 14.0.20 later today.

@dcantor, I was on xp until i gave windows 7 a try and decided to totally abandoned xp. i can only recommend the same for you and use v14.

Try it again now.

Note that I will be dropping XP support forever in v14.10. There's just no excuse for anyone to be running such an antediluvian POS these days ...

Thanks for the heads up AFTER I have committed to v14.

Well, I have no intention of moving to Windows 7, so looks like I am stuck with v14.00.xx forever.

XP SP3 works. Intuit still supports their products for XP SP3. The security cameras and software at the store have been chugging away on an XP box since 2003. Lorex has even issued updates to their camera software since then, and they still support XP.

No, I am not cheap. If a PC system is still useable, no sense throwing it out. My wife is a customs broker, and her office of 30 PC users do not even have a machine with Windows Vista. Yep, they are all still running XP. Their systems have to be compatible for the Canada Revenue Agency. Yep, the Canada Revenue Agency still supports XP.

Welcome to the real world.

Joe

TCC 14.00.19 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 19 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3
Registered to Joe Caverly - 1 System License

Thanks for the heads up AFTER I have committed to v14.

I had mentioned that several times here in the past few months. The original plan was to drop XP support for 14.0, but I eventually decided to extend it a little longer. (At the cost of considerable pain in the development process, and having to abandon a number of new features that cannot be done with XP.) I doubt you'd be any happier if I continually released new versions with no new features, because XP can't support them.

JP Software has an unconditional guarantee on Take Command; if you want to revert to 13.0 and remain with XP forever, we're happy to refund your 14.0 upgrade.

I had mentioned that several times here in the past few months. The original plan was to drop XP support for 14.0, but I eventually decided to extend it a little longer. (At the cost of considerable pain in the development process, and having to abandon a number of new features that cannot be done with XP.) I doubt you'd be any happier if I continually released new versions with no new features, because XP can't support them.

JP Software has an unconditional guarantee on Take Command; if you want to revert to 13.0 and remain with XP forever, we're happy to refund your 14.0 upgrade.

I will take you up on the refund offer for V14, since you will not be supporting XP, and I have no intention of moving to Windows 7.

As a user since the 4DOS days of the 80s, thanks for a great product. I will continue to use TCMD 13 with XP.

Joe

Earlier, Rex, you said that you "will be dropping XP support forever in v14.10" and I don't quite know how to interpret that. Does v14.10 come after 14.9 or should it be interpreted as 14.1, and come after 14.0? (It's ambiguous, because you've had versions numbered like 13.03 which imply that x.10 follow x.09; OTOH x.10 might be interpreted as a decimal number and equivalent to x.1, and you generally don't get past minor versions with x.04?)

If I don't ask for a refund, and stop upgrading with the release just prior to the v14.10 release, will you continue to support that last 14.0 (14.9) on XP for the remainder of the year after I last bought the 14.0 license?

Build 20 was removed and replaced with build 21. I just tested the 14.00.21 download and it worked without a problem.
Confirmed. Build 21 installed and starts without a problem. Thanks for the quick action, as always, Rex.

Joe,

Did you try Windows 7? What were your main concerns?

I moved to Vista when it came out as I was anxious to try the new thing. I remember looking fondly back at XP at the time although I didn't seem to have the trouble others did. However, since I moved to windows 7 once it came out, I've been very happy with it.

If you have not given it a through try I suggest doing so. You might be surprised.

Michael

Joe,

Did you try Windows 7? What were your main concerns?

I moved to Vista when it came out as I was anxious to try the new thing. I remember looking fondly back at XP at the time although I didn't seem to have the trouble others did. However, since I moved to windows 7 once it came out, I've been very happy with it.

If you have not given it a through try I suggest doing so. You might be surprised.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Yepper, I have several people I support who use Windows 7. My wife has Windows 7 on her laptop.

For the people I support who use Windows 7, I found that the parental controls, part of Windows Live Family Safety, are leaps and bounds ahead of XP. Ditto for other features.

Note that these folks, including my wife, did not upgrade from an existing system. They started with the system that came with Windows 7.

Windows 7, however, will not run on any of my systems. Why throw out a perfectly good, working system, when it still has many more months, maybe even years, ahead of it, just to pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of using Windows 7, and Dell/Acer/Whatever several hundred more dollars for a machine that will run Windows 7?

At home, I have one system that is pure XP. The others are running Ubuntu, with XP in a VirtualBox.

If I could run TCMD 14 under Wine, which, by the way, emulates Windows 2.0 all the way to Windows 7, I would be doing that. The only JPSoftware version that I can get to work under Wine is 4NT8. Visual Basic 6, PowerBASIC, and such, run just fine under Wine.

When people purchase new systems, I get their old ones. I clean these systems up, install Ubuntu, and give them to people who have no systems. Otherwise, these systems, which are in fine, working condition, would end up in the garbage.

If I were to move on, and "modernize", I would not be using the command line, and would have no need for TCMD/TCC. I am more productive with the command line than I am with the GUI, having started with such back in the late 1970's.

If Rex were able to get TCMD 14 working under Wine, which emulates Windows 7, I would re-purchase the registration keys for TCMD 14. Until that time, TCMD 13 and the Bash Shell will be what I use to get my daily tasks completed.

Joe

I don't get it. Isn't that Wine's problem?

I stand corrected.

I should have said, if Rex were to work with WineHQ to get TCMD 14 working under Wine...

If I am the only one who would like TCMD 14 to work under Wine, then that is my problem alone.

If I am not the only one who would like TCMD 14 to work under Wine, then that is an opportunity for Rex.

Joe

Earlier, Rex, you said that you "will be dropping XP support forever in v14.10" and I don't quite know how to interpret that. Does v14.10 come after 14.9 or should it be interpreted as 14.1, and come after 14.0? (It's ambiguous, because you've had versions numbered like 13.03 which imply that x.10 follow x.09; OTOH x.10 might be interpreted as a decimal number and equivalent to x.1, and you generally don't get past minor versions with x.04?)

If I don't ask for a refund, and stop upgrading with the release just prior to the v14.10 release, will you continue to support that last 14.0 (14.9) on XP for the remainder of the year after I last bought the 14.0 license?

14.10 will be the next *major* update after 14.0. (The minor updates will be 14.01, 14.02, etc.)

I will continue to support 14.0 on XP indefinitely. (I had a support question last week from somebody still using Take Command 2.0!) But it won't get any new features. I don't think that's unreasonable, given that Microsoft hasn't provided any new features for XP for several years.

14.10 will be the next *major* update after 14.0. (The minor updates will be 14.01, 14.02, etc.)

I will continue to support 14.0 on XP indefinitely. (I had a support question last week from somebody still using Take Command 2.0!) But it won't get any new features. I don't think that's unreasonable, given that Microsoft hasn't provided any new features for XP for several years.
No, that's not unreasonable at all, Rex. I'll just have to figure out what's the best course for me. It might be that I don't upgrade to 14.10 when it comes out, but that after I upgrade from Win XP to Win 7 (after buying a new computer, probably), I'll upgrade to the latest TC version then. Nothing definite. I understand you have to make business decisions. This one doesn't please me, but your commitment to supporting old versions certainly does! Thanks for clarifying.