Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Take Command startup problem

Aug
Hi Rex,

RE your reply to my email support call:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Keith:

We only provide support via our forums -- so that other forum members can
contribute, and everybody can benefit from the solutions.

Please repost this on the support forum, but with some additional
information:

1) What do you mean by "it starts to launch" -- does the TCMD window appear
and then close?
2) Do you have a TCSTART file that might be aborting the startup? (If you
only have one tab window, and it closes immediately, then TCMD will also
close immediately.)
3) What is in your TCMD.INI?
4) Do you have other apps (particularly screen managers and antivirus apps)
that might be injecting code into TCMD and/or TCC?
5) Do you see any error popups?
6) If TCMD is crashing, it will generate a TCMD.GPF file in the
\users\yourname\appdata\local\jpsoft directory.

Rex Conn
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've installed a trail of Take Command on both Windows 7 & Vista
computers and on both it won't launch. When I click on the icon, it
starts to launch - there's a bit of cursor activity as tcmd.exe starts, which I can see in Task Manager - but then stops, as tcmd.exe shuts down.

On my W7 machine...

1) No TCMD window appears at all during this.

2) This is the first time I've tried to launch TCMD and I don't know what a TCSTART file is.

3) There is no TCMD.INI file.

4) Can't think of any other app that would affect this - TCMD is the only program that's doing this at the moment.

5) No error popups.

6) Content of TCMD.GPF is:

TCMD 14.01.33
Module=C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCMD14\IsLicense50.dll
Address=03FA5DA5
Exception=C0000005
EAX=040AF000 EBX=040AEF70 ECX=01AF000E EDX=00000007
ESI=01AFDE20 EDI=01AFE120 EBP=01AFDDE8 ESP=01AFDDE8
CS=00000023 DS=0000002B ES=0000002B SS=0000002B
Flags=00010202

Stack:
1 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:00154da5
2 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:0004d9dd
3 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:00060aa3
4 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:0005586b
5 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:00055c67
6 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:000553c6
7 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:00056a48
8 : IsLicense50.dll 0001:00050628

Regards

Keith

Behind a firewall or proxy?

I've never seen or heard of that problem before, so it's likely to be a conflict with something else on your system. IsLicense50.dll is a third-party dll; I sent a query to the developers to see if they have any ideas.

Two things for you to try first:

1) Make sure the IsLicense50.dll is registered properly. Run "regsvr32 islicense50.dll" from a command prompt and let me know the results. (It's possible you have something on your system that is blocking COM dll registration.)

2) If #1 doesn't work, run regedit and delete the "HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 14.0" key.

What happens if you go to the TCMD installation directory and run "tcc.exe" instead of "tcmd.exe"?

Are you on a corporate network with a proxy server and/or firewall blocking Internet access from unregistered apps?

1) Make sure the IsLicense50.dll is registered properly. Run "regsvr32 islicense50.dll" from a command prompt and let me know the results. (It's possible you have something on your system that is blocking COM dll registration.) - This fails with the error 'The Module "ISLICENSE50.DLL" Failed To Load'......The specified module cannot be found.

2) If #1 doesn't work, run regedit and delete the "HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 14.0" key. - After deleting this key a Take Command window briefly launched then closed.

What happens if you go to the TCMD installation directory and run "tcc.exe" instead of "tcmd.exe"? - "tcc.exe" launches OK, "tcmd.exe" fails to launch.

Are you on a corporate network with a proxy server and/or firewall blocking Internet access from unregistered apps? - I'm on a corporate network; to my knowledge there shouldn't be anything blocking internet access for this app.

1) Make sure the IsLicense50.dll is registered properly. Run "regsvr32 islicense50.dll" from a command prompt and let me know the results. (It's possible you have something on your system that is blocking COM dll registration.) - This fails with the error 'The Module "ISLICENSE50.DLL" Failed To Load'......The specified module cannot be found.

You don't have IsLicense50.dll in your Take Command installation directory? (Or you didn't run regsvr32 from your installation directory?)

I deleted the key and, as before, a cmd window appears when I run tcc.exe. Running tcmd.exe still fails to launch however.