Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Take Command v11 Public Beta Build 26 Uploaded

I've uploaded build 26 to the ftp and http (updater) sites.

This includes fixes for all of the known/reproducible problems (except Tk) as well as a final draft of the help file.

This build triggered several AVG warnings and I gave up trying to list temporary installation directories in AVG's exception list. I was able to install this build, though, by opening the installation kit with 7-Zip and extracting the files dated 26-Oct-09 directly into the directory where build 25 was previously installed (and overwriting the files there).

None of the files I actually extracted triggered any AVG warnings.

This build triggered several AVG warnings and I gave up trying to list temporary installation directories in AVG's exception list. I was able to install this build, though, by opening the installation kit with 7-Zip and extracting the files dated 26-Oct-09 directly into the directory where build 25 was previously installed (and overwriting the files there).

None of the files I actually extracted triggered any AVG warnings.

At this point, I cannot understand why ANYONE would continue to use AVG, which generates more false positives than any other ten antivirus apps combined.

At this point, I cannot understand why ANYONE would continue to use AVG, which generates more false positives than any other ten antivirus apps combined.

Well, I was just trying to post possibly useful information about how to get around the inconvenience for any other AVG users out there, but since you implied a question, I'll answer it.

I continue to use AVG because since I've started, I've gotten ZERO real viri on my computer, but it has detected many. Perhaps some of the ones it's detected have been false positives. Maybe, but most of them are in junk email, so as far as I'm concerned, AVG is doing a hell of a good job for me.

TCMD components are the only false positives it has detected that I'm sure of. I'm willing to put up with the false positive virus indications because I like both products: Take Command and AVG.

On 2009-10-16 16:45, dcantor wrote:

> This build triggered several AVG warnings and I gave up trying to list temporary installation directories in AVG's exception list. I was able to install this build, though, by opening the installation kit with 7-Zip and extracting the files dated 26-Oct-09 directly into the directory where build 25 was previously installed (and overwriting the files there).

I have tested this in a VM with the latest version of AVG (the free
edition, version 9.0.686), and it indeed triggers on the tcmd.exe file
during the installation. It thinks it has the Win32/Virut virus.

I have used AVG's "upload to AVG labs" feature to report it as a false
positive. No idea if they actually look at those... :)

In any case, AVG is (again?) the only scanner to trigger on this:

https://www.virustotal.com/analisis/97bd0f7676f1fa7f2985875b324fc4297f19609b50f4c3df0b5de0a7afb3500e-1255718487

On 2009-10-16 20:49, dim wrote:

> I have used AVG's "upload to AVG labs" feature to report it as a false
> positive. No idea if they actually look at those... :)

Just received this from them... I hope it'll be fixed in their next datafiles update.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: VVSAMPLE analysis
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:10:30 +0200 (CEST)
To: [email protected]

This e-mail is an auto-response message. Please do not reply.

AVG Research Lab has analyzed the file(s) you have sent from your AVG Virus Vault. Below you can find the results for each file. The final verdict on the file is either a correct detection or a false positive detection.

Further information about the verdicts are available at our website:
http://www.avg.com/faq-1184

"C:\Documents and Settings\Dim\Application Data\JP Software\Take Command 11.0\install\CB8344E\tcmd.exe" - false alarm

Best regards,

AVG Customer Services
AVG Technologies

dcantor wrote:
|| ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
|| At this point, I cannot understand why ANYONE would continue to use
|| AVG, which generates more false positives than any other ten
|| antivirus apps combined. ---End Quote---
|| Well, I was just trying to post possibly useful information about
|| how to get around the inconvenience for any other AVG users out
|| there, but since you implied a question, I'll answer it.
||
|| I continue to use AVG because since I've started, I've gotten ZERO
|| real viri on my computer, but it has detected many. Perhaps some
|| of the ones it's detected have been false positives. Maybe, but
|| most of them are in junk email, so as far as I'm concerned, AVG is
|| doing a hell of a good job for me.
||
|| TCMD components are the only false positives it has detected that
|| I'm sure of. I'm willing to put up with the false positive virus
|| indications because I like both products: Take Command and AVG.

I found some false positives in old PC-DOS programs which are archived on my
system. TCSTUB.EXE of V7 is the only JP Software one currently reported. My
reason for keeping it is that it is much faster than McAfee (which I can get
free from comcast) or Symantec (bundled on hardware) and the price is right.
--
Steve

It doesn't say if it was a correct detection or a false positive. Be nice if they would include that - wouldn't it.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 09:47 PM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-1463] Re: Take Command v11 Public Beta Build 26 Uploaded

On 2009-10-16 20:49, dim wrote:

Just received this from them... I hope it'll be fixed in their next datafiles update.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: VVSAMPLE analysis
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:10:30 +0200 (CEST)

This e-mail is an auto-response message. Please do not reply.

AVG Research Lab has analyzed the file(s) you have sent from your AVG Virus Vault. Below you can find the results for each file. The final verdict on the file is either a correct detection or a false positive detection.

Further information about the verdicts are available at our website:
http://www.avg.com/faq-1184

"C:\Documents and Settings\Dim\Application Data\JP Software\Take Command 11.0\install\CB8344E\tcmd.exe" - false alarm

Best regards,

AVG Customer Services
AVG Technologies

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:16:29 -0500, "[email protected]"
<> wrote:

|It doesn't say if it was a correct detection or a false positive. Be nice if they would include that - wouldn't it.

Didn't it say "false alarm"?
--
- Vince