Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD TASKBAR window commands confuses our friends at MS

Apr
If you do a couple of TASKBAR commands with cascade | vtile | htile and then follow that with max the window with focus is not maximized. There are multiple combinations that don't work as expected but once I found two I quit looking for more. They all failed with max as the last command, though. After vtile the max command causes them to cascade.

Regards, DJ.

I don't have access to the source, but I suspect TASKBAR is a really trivial command, just posting a single message to Explorer. What, if anything, Explorer does with that message will be up to Microsoft.

Looking at it again -- it's been a while since I've messed with this rather odd command:

I think this is not a bug so much as a documentation issue. Or a total-lack-of-documentation issue. The undocumented notification message 416, which Rex and various other folks on the web are calling "maximize all", would probably be better described as "undo last". Can't really blame Microsoft for getting it wrong, since they never documented that particular message or mechanism in the first place. I would suggest simply changing the description in the help from "Maximize all windows" to "Undo a previous Cascade, HTile, Min, or VTile" to reflect what it actually does.

Looking at it again -- it's been a while since I've messed with this rather odd command:

I think this is not a bug so much as a documentation issue. Or a total-lack-of-documentation issue. The undocumented notification message 416, which Rex and various other folks on the web are calling "maximize all", would probably be better described as "undo last". Can't really blame Microsoft for getting it wrong, since they never documented that particular message or mechanism in the first place. I would suggest simply changing the description in the help from "Maximize all windows" to "Undo a previous Cascade, HTile, Min, or VTile" to reflect what it actually does.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you, Charles, for yet another constructive contribution.
Regards, DJ.