Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TC 16: no menus, interface distorted

Aug
I upgraded to the latest Beta from the latest TC15 by renaming [HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 15.0] to 16.0. This was in order to keep the settings from the previous version and it worked for many years.

Now with version 16, the main menu is gone, you can't see characters on buttons, the background is black and the tab to the right is gone (see screenshots). What can I do to get Take Command "back" without reconfiguring everything?
TC15.png
TC16.png

This certainly is NOT a recommended method. Among other details, though a few of the control parameters are in the registry, the bulk of them are in the TCMD.INI file. Of course, its default location is the same, it would automatically be shared. In future, you might wish to copy the registry tree instead of renaming. There is no assurance that entries remain the same. Entries with the same names serving quite different purposes are very possible! And TCMD.INI might have dropped directives which would give you error reports.

I upgraded to the latest Beta from the latest TC15 by renaming [HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 15.0] to 16.0. This was in order to keep the settings from the previous version and it worked for many years.

That is (1) definitely not supported, and (2) cannot possibly work with v16, because the menu structure is completely different.

You'll need to delete "HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 16.0"; Take Command will automatically rebuild it with the correct format if it doesn't exist.

I guess I solved it myself: I "blindly" clicked with the mouse where I suspected the Options menu and then - still without seeing the actuall menu text - clicked to where I hoped to find a different style. I chose one (which later turned out to be "Windows 7") and everything started re-appearing (see screenshot). Obviously there is a bug in TC16 which causes the "black on black" if you choose a style which is not implemented yet (like for instance "Windows 8").

TC16-new.png

That [...] cannot possibly work with v16, because the menu structure is completely different.

It does work pretty well (see my last posting). The problem was not the hackish upgrade but a bug in TC16 where a non-existiing style (like "Windows 8") causes a black on black "style".

Back