Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC 10.0.0.57: Crash on launch in Secur32.dll

Jun
I've just installed the trial version of Take Command 10.0.0.57 under Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), and every time I try to start TCC I get the following crash:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: tcc.exe
Application Version: 10.0.0.57
Application Timestamp: 49a54327
Fault Module Name: Secur32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a777
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000021b3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2add
Additional Information 2: 512f3c0f1279385ea71cf0d248627276
Additional Information 3: d632
Additional Information 4: 6c420c47cfe517d559b1e79e3256e27e
There is no TCC.INI file.

Is this a known problem? What can I do to get it working?

Spire wrote:

> I've just installed the trial version of Take Command 10.0.0.57 under Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), and every time I try to start TCC I get the following crash:
> ---Quote---
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: tcc.exe
> Application Version: 10.0.0.57
> Application Timestamp: 49a54327
> Fault Module Name: Secur32.dll
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a777
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 000021b3
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 2add
> Additional Information 2: 512f3c0f1279385ea71cf0d248627276
> Additional Information 3: d632
> Additional Information 4: 6c420c47cfe517d559b1e79e3256e27e
> ---End Quote---
> There is no TCC.INI file.
>
> Is this a known problem? What can I do to get it working?

It's not a TCC problem. TCC doesn't load secur32.dll, so it's being
loaded by something else and injected into TCC's address space (probably
an antivirus app or a video / desktop manager).

A quick Google search shows lots of identical secur32.dll errors with
other apps; a common cause seems to be the Google Toolbar and/or
Desktop. If you're running one of those, try disabling it and see if
TCC.EXE loads successfully.

(There would never be a TCC.INI file, but there should be a TCMD.INI
file, unless you don't have write access to your disk.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

It's not a TCC problem. TCC doesn't load secur32.dll, so it's being loaded by something else and injected into TCC's address space (probably an antivirus app or a video / desktop manager).
After some trial and error, I've discovered what triggers the crash: It's when TCC is launched by AutoHotkey via a keyboard shortcut.

AutoHotkey is an open-source utility that allows one to write simple or complex automation scripts that can be executed by pressing keyboard shortcuts.

I have a simple script that launches TCC when I press Win+4. (Why "4"? I wrote it many years ago, back when TCC was called 4NT.) It's when I launch TCC via this script that I get the instant crash in Secur32.dll; when I launch TCC normally (via the Windows Start menu), it works just fine.

What I'm wondering is why out of the many programs I launch via AutoHotkey -- including many past versions of TCC and 4NT -- this new version of TCC is the only one what triggers this crash.

I plan to ask about this on the AutoHotkey forum as well, but I'm wondering if you can offer any ideas as to why this has suddenly started happening.

Spire wrote:

> After some trial and error, I've discovered what triggers the crash: It's when TCC is launched by AutoHotkey ( AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program with Hotkeys and AutoText ) via a keyboard shortcut.
>
> AutoHotkey is an open-source utility that allows one to write simple or complex automation scripts that can be executed by pressing keyboard shortcuts.
>
> I have a simple script that launches TCC when I press Win+4. (Why "4"? I wrote it many years ago, back when TCC was called 4NT.) It's when I launch TCC via this script that I get the instant crash in Secur32.dll; when I launch TCC normally (via the Windows Start menu), it works just fine.
>
> What I'm wondering is why out of the many programs I launch via AutoHotkey -- including many past versions of TCC and 4NT -- this new version of TCC is the only one what triggers this crash.
>
> I plan to ask about this on the AutoHotkey forum as well, but I'm wondering if you can offer any ideas as to why this has suddenly started happening.

No idea -- since TCC isn't crashing (secur32.dll is) nor is it calling
secur32.dll in the first place, I don't have much to go on.

Do you get a TCC.GPF file after the crash? If you do, send that to me;
it might point to *why* secur32.dll is being called. (If not, the crash
would be happening in secur32.dl when it was loaded by the Windows
loader, and before any of the TCC.EXE code is executed.)