Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC 15 on Windows XP?

May
The Overview topic in the new TCC 15 help says
Take Command is designed for Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8, and is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Does this mean that we Windows XP users get a reprieve and that TC and TCC 15 will run on Windows XP?

Version 15 will run on XP. The future (yet-to-be-created) version 16 will not -- when Microsoft drops XP support (not long now!), so will JP Software.
Thank you, Rex, for the reprieve, and for the explanation.

"Does not support" and "will not run" are generally two things. Unless there willl be major changes in TC I guess it will happily in XP work although unsupported

In the Baltimore area every medical facility I've been to uses XP. Typically they are NOT connected to the internet for patient privacy (and virtually negate the chances of viruses etc.). They may be connected to a company network (such as an HMO). I seriously doubt all these machines would be replaced within the next 13 months. Most do not have sufficient hardware to run Win7.

In the Baltimore area every medical facility I've been to uses XP. Typically they are NOT connected to the internet for patient privacy (and virtually negate the chances of viruses etc.). They may be connected to a company network (such as an HMO). I seriously doubt all these machines would be replaced within the next 13 months. Most do not have sufficient hardware to run Win7.
If you're going to run an outdated and unsupported OS, why not an outdated and unsupported TCMD too?

Odds are good that you could get a decent performance upgrade by going to Windows 8 too, even on outdated hardware: http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/02/operating-system-smackdown-windows-8.html

"If it works don't mess with it" is the principle I think. So long as the systems do their job, "support" is not required, no matter which part of the software we are talking about - OS or application. And on systems physically inaccessible from outside, you do not need to worry about malware protection. But those are not Rex' customers, anyway. There are those of us however for whom "upgrading" is a financial burden. But we can also get by using old cars and older systems. All in all, as I mentioned in another thread, it's Rex' decision, which he will base on whether or not he believes there are enough new or upgrade licenses to be sold for older systems. I may not be able to go to V16 on my laptop, only on my "new" desktop, but so be it.