Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC: History window sizes; other config options

Dec
I keep trying to find the configuration option that controls the height of the directory history window. Which specific topic in the on-line help covers this subject? I keep finding topics about directory history but none seems to contain information about controlling the window height.

Is there an option for this in the dialog that appears when you type OPTION at the command line? If so, which specific option is it?

Why this came up: no matter how many directories I've been in during a given session, I see only two lines in the directory history window. I have to scroll the thing constantly -- it is not convenient. By contrast, the command-history window is a good deal taller than the directory-history window -- and I don't know yet how I managed to configure it that way; I'd like to replicate that for the directory history.

What is the topic in the on-line help that lists every possible configuration option a person might find in TCMD.INI? I keep trying to find this in the help and not finding it. There must be such a topic. If memory serves, there was in the on-line help for 4NT. The on-line help does contain this:

The TCMD.INI file has a number of sections. Each section is identified by the section name in square brackets on a line by itself. Take Command stores the user-defined options in [TakeCommand]; TCC stores its user-defined options in [4NT].

Where in the on-line help is the discussion of all possible configuration options to be found in the [4NT] section?

Thanks in advance...

I keep trying to find the configuration option that controls the height of the directory history window. Which specific topic in the on-line help covers this subject? I keep finding topics about directory history but none seems to contain information about controlling the window height.

Is there an option for this in the dialog that appears when you type OPTION at the command line? If so, which specific option is it?

Why this came up: no matter how many directories I've been in during a given session, I see only two lines in the directory history window. I have to scroll the thing constantly -- it is not convenient. By contrast, the command-history window is a good deal taller than the directory-history window -- and I don't know yet how I managed to configure it that way; I'd like to replicate that for the directory history.

The command history window and the directory history window both use the same directives: PopupWinHeight, PopupWinTop, PopupWinLeft, and PopupWinWidth. You shouldn't need to edit the .INI file, though; just open either one, drag it to the desired position and size, then hit Esc.

(If you open a window and there aren't enough lines to fill it, it will be resized to fit the data. But as long as you don't resize or move the window, the smaller size won't be saved back to the .INI file ... I think.)

> I keep trying to find the configuration option that controls the height
> of the directory history window. Which specific topic in the on-line
> help covers this subject? I keep finding topics about directory history
> but none seems to contain information about controlling the window
> height.

There is no option to control the height. Just drag the window taller, and
TCMD / TCC will remember the new height.

> What is the topic in the on-line help that lists every possible
> configuration option a person might find in TCMD.INI?

That part of the help was removed several years ago. The only documented
and supported way to change configuration options is through the OPTION
dialog.

Rex Conn
JP Software

The command history window and the directory history window both use the same directives: PopupWinHeight, PopupWinTop, PopupWinLeft, and PopupWinWidth. You shouldn't need to edit the .INI file, though; just open either one, drag it to the desired position and size, then hit Esc.

I tried that. The size doesn't "stick."

(If you open a window and there aren't enough lines to fill it, it will be resized to fit the data. But as long as you don't resize or move the window, the smaller size won't be saved back to the .INI file ... I think.)

The problem is that it's being resized to hold less than the available data -- two or three lines, no matter how many are in the history.

This is under Win 7. I have to upgrade my copies at home and then I'll see what happens under Win XP SP2...

There is no option to control the height. Just drag the window taller, and TCMD / TCC will remember the new height.

As noted in my previous reply, this isn't working. It isn't remembering the height.

That part of the help was removed several years ago. The only documented and supported way to change configuration options is through the OPTION dialog.

It looks to me as if there are a lot more options shown in that .INI file than there are selections in the dialog box. But am I mistaken about that?

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> There is no option to control the height. Just drag the window taller,
> and TCMD / TCC will remember the new height.
> ---End Quote---
> As noted in my previous reply, this isn't working. It isn't remembering
> the height.

There's only two possibilities if it isn't saving the height -- either you
don't have enough entries in the window to fill the specified height (in
which case the window will shrink to the number of existing lines), or your
TCMD.INI is write-protected and TCC cannot update it. If you drag the
window to a new position will it remember that?

> ---Quote---
> That part of the help was removed several years ago. The only
> documented and supported way to change configuration options is through
> the OPTION dialog.
> ---End Quote---
> It looks to me as if there are a lot more options shown in that .INI
> file than there are selections in the dialog box. But am I mistaken
> about that?

The only additional options are for TCMD, which are set in the TCMD
configuration dialog, and some internal-only options that you should not
touch.

There are also some advanced directives documented in the help file, for use
in debugging.

Rex Conn
JP Software

There's only two possibilities if it isn't saving the height -- either you
don't have enough entries in the window to fill the specified height (in
which case the window will shrink to the number of existing lines), or your
TCMD.INI is write-protected and TCC cannot update it. If you drag the
window to a new position will it remember that?

I have ensured there are no write-protected TCMD.ini files on the system (and I removed the one that's in the application settings directory, to avoid any ambiguity -- now the only one is in the directory where TCC.exe resides).

It does remember the position. The window height, when the window is opened, always defaults to something less than the number of entries, even when they don't exceed what I believe is the max. window height configured at the moment. IOW, the scroll bar is always displayed even when there's enough screen real-estate for the window to contain all stored path names in a single window. If there are only two or three path names in the history, only one of them is displayed and I have to scroll to get the other two.

There is no option to control the height. Just drag the window taller, and
TCMD / TCC will remember the new height.

Is the expected behavior also that TCC should remember popup windows' positions (top/left) based on where they were last positioned -- remember these between TCC sessions?

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> There is no option to control the height. Just drag the window taller,
> and
> TCMD / TCC will remember the new height.
> ---End Quote---
> Is the expected behavior also that TCC should remember popup windows'
> *positions* (top/left) based on where they were last positioned --
> remember these between TCC sessions?

Yes.

Rex Conn
JP Software

> It does remember the position. The window height, when the window is
> opened, always defaults to something less than the number of entries,
> even when they don't exceed what I believe is the max. window height
> configured at the moment. IOW, the scroll bar is always displayed even
> when there's enough screen real-estate for the window to contain all
> stored path names in a single window. If there are only two or three
> path names in the history, only one of them is displayed and I have to
> scroll to get the other two.

Send me your TCMD.INI file.

Rex Conn
JP Software

I believe what I had to do was remove these entries that came over from my TC9 file.

PopupWinHeight=12
PopupWinTop=1
PopupWinLeft=40
PopupWinWidth=36

Once I did that, it worked great. The new values are in pixels. For some reason, the entries above would not be overwritten by TC11. So no matter how many times I moved/sized the window, it would never remember it.

I'll try that, thanks. If I'm still having trouble with it -- this to Rex -- I'll send the TCMD.ini file...

One more thought -- this also to Rex: does an accurate 'save' of window positions/sizes, from one TCC session to the next, require running SHRALIAS first?

I believe what I had to do was remove these entries that came over from my TC9 file.

PopupWinHeight=12
PopupWinTop=1
PopupWinLeft=40
PopupWinWidth=36

Once I did that, it worked great. The new values are in pixels. For some reason, the entries above would not be overwritten by TC11. So no matter how many times I moved/sized the window, it would never remember it.

That worked for me, and thanks again.

The directory history window seems to retain its last screen position and width, but without updating the tcmd.ini file. It continues to resize itself for height to one line less than the number of available dir-history entries -- no matter how many there are.

PopupWinHeight=12
PopupWinTop=1
PopupWinLeft=40
PopupWinWidth=36

Hmmm. How many entries are in your directory history? What pop-up font are you using?

I've not re-sized it before now but it does seem to grow the height to fit the contents. In my case, the 20 entries fit nicely with no scroll bar.

Hmmm. How many entries are in your directory history? What pop-up font are you using?

I've not re-sized it before now but it does seem to grow the height to fit the contents. In my case, the 20 entries fit nicely with no scroll bar.

At this moment, 15 entries. The window is 14 lines high. If I go to another directory and end up with 16 entries, the window will be 15 lines high. Font is Consolas. I've tried several sizes. Also tried Courier New and FixedSys. Same result -- there's always a scroll bar. This is under Win 7 Enterprise, if it matters.

Lost my Win7 Enterprise boot drive so I can't try it until I get that fixed.

On my XP box I'm using Lucida Console/Regular/8.

So you've tried making it taller - press escape - then when you bring it back up it snaps back to size - 1 with the scroll bar?

On my XP box I'm using Lucida Console/Regular/8.

With these aging eyes, that'd be too small a point size for me. Next chance I get I'll at least try it to see if it makes any difference.

So you've tried making it taller - press escape - then when you bring it back up it snaps back to size - 1 with the scroll bar?

Correct.