Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC/LE Broken

Mar
When I install the latest TCC/LE (13.06 Build 74), the installation completes successfully, but when TCC is started, it flashes a window on the screen and then immediately exits. This behavior is consistent regardless of the method used to launch the application. This in on XP Pro Service Pack 3. The previous version of TCC/LE was removed before installing the new one.

No INI or TCSTART file, or any plugins. Just an out of the box install. This is the first time this has happened -- I've been upgrading to the latest version as they have been coming out for a couple of years, and haven't seen anything like this. Also, when I start tcc.exe from a standard CMD window, it immediately goes back to the CMD prompt without displaying any windows.

No INI or TCSTART file, or any plugins. Just an out of the box install. This is the first time this has happened -- I've been upgrading to the latest version as they have been coming out for a couple of years, and haven't seen anything like this. Also, when I start tcc.exe from a standard CMD window, it immediately goes back to the CMD prompt without displaying any windows.

When you say "start tcc.exe", do you mean "run the START command with tcc.exe as the argument", or "enter tcc.exe on the CMD command line"? If you run tcc.exe in a CMD window, do you get any output in the CMD window before it exits?

I'm wondering whether you might have a corrupt installer. Have you tried uninstalling, downloading the installer again, and re-installing?

Just downloaded the installer, used it to first uninstall the old one, then a fresh install of the new one. At the end of the install, when I click on the choice to run TCC, it does the same thing as before. I get the same behavior regardless of how I launch the application (desktop icon, task bar icon or from a CMD window).

Well, I'm confused. TCC/LE 13.06.74 is working here (Windows XP SP3).

But I didn't download the installer, I did the OPTION /U thing.

Is there an older version I can download and try? I want to see if it's something in my environment or with the installer/program (my guess is my environment).

You can look in ftp://ftp.jpsoft.com/oldver/

For whatever it's worth, I just uninstalled TCC/LE v13, then downloaded and ran the installer from the Web page. It works for me.

(I'm not finding the current TCC/LE on the FTP site...?)

I downloaded 12.11 from the FTP site and it worked just fine. I'll stick with that one for a while :-)

I've been a user since 4DOS and 4NT days. I was really surprised when this happened. Not sure what the issue is, but at least now I can work (I *really* don't like CMD). Thanks for the help. PS - if there is something you want me to try, please let me know.

We have a little over 4,800 downloads of TCC/LE 13.06.74 to date, and thus far you're the only one reporting a problem. So the odds are it's something on your system rather than a generic TCC/LE problem.

First, post the directory listing of everything in your TCC/LE installation directory so I can see if there's something missing.

Second, if TCC/LE is crashing (unlikely, since it would almost always display an error dialog if it did), it will write a GPF file to your appdata\local\jpsoft directory. (The same directory that holds the default .INI file.) If you find a GPF file there, please forward it to [email protected].

Third, a likely cause of your problem is a third-party app (like an antivirus app or screen manager) injecting their code into TCC/LE and crashing. If you're running any of those types of apps, try disabling them temporarily and see if that changes the TCC load behavior.

First, content of install directory:

3/06/2013 16:20 <DIR> .
3/06/2013 16:20 <DIR> ..
3/04/2013 12:48 308,256 English.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 334,368 French.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 336,928 German.dll
10/19/2012 5:03 752,384 ipworkszip9.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 326,688 Italian.dll
10/17/2012 20:58 6,413 licensele.txt
3/04/2013 12:48 297,504 onig.dll
2/25/2013 19:25 3,448 readme.txt
3/06/2013 16:20 1,431 regid.2002-09.com.jpsoft_TCC LE 13.0.swidtag
3/04/2013 12:48 214,560 Russian.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 75,808 ShrAlias.exe
3/04/2013 12:48 331,296 Spanish.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 988,192 takecmd.dll
3/04/2013 12:48 129,568 tcc.exe
12/28/2009 12:18 1,000 tccbatch.btm
12/28/2009 12:19 1,192 tcchere.btm
2/25/2013 21:22 3,647,403 tcmd.chm
3/04/2013 12:48 542,752 updater.exe
3/06/2013 16:20 379 updater.ini
8,299,570 bytes in 19 files and 2 dirs 8,339,456 bytes allocated

Second, did not find a GPF file. And, lastly I'm using AVG 2013. If it is some interaction, it's just with 13.0. The old version 12.11 I installed is working just fine.

And you won't -- I'm shutting down public access to the JP Software FTP site. It's not worth my spending 5-10 hours a week fending off the thousands of daily attacks for the benefit of < 10 users who want to do their updates in the most difficult way possible.
Why is using TCC to download an installer and using it on several systems on the LAN "the most difficult way possible"? I use TCC many hours a day, creating or modifying aliases, UDFs, batch programs, analyzing data, etc. - mostly without accessing the internet, just the other system on my LAN. When I use the internet, it's virtually never for browsing. When possible I use the File Transfer Protocol for file transfer, not the HyperText Transfer Protocol, so that as many of a file's attributes as possible would be preserved. It is easy! For me it is much simpler than 1/ navigating to the JPsoft website's download page, 2/ for each downloadable file its date and the version/build with the last download of that file, 3/ download each file by manual action, 4/ move each downloaded file to a directory reflecting its content (e.g., TCC/LE or TCMD) with the directory location (or some other property) identifying the download transaction. Several steps are not easily automated.Cf. a single COPY command in TCC to download all files newer at the FTP site than my last download transaction.

If you have unlimited high-speed internet access, or only one machine, yes, it is done. But if your high-speed internet access is limited, you do not have the luxury of doing it separately for every machine, downloading the same file separately for each. Nor does it offer the possibility to reinstall without repeated download. If /U offered the option Firefox, Microsoft Update and many other programs do, namely, "download but do not install" (usu. with a pop-up telling the use how to install - typically naming the installer and specifying to "click" on it in Explorer) it would be acceptable.

The public FTP site is a massive time and money drain for no benefit. It's going away; that is not open to further discussion.

Would a private FTP site be worth the trouble, come to think of it? If the users are that few, and you know them well, it could be an option...

I just downloaded and tried tcc/le 13.06 build 75, and get the same results. This time it was on a Windows 7 Ultimate machines. I've tried the last two builds on XP and Windows 7 (Ultimate and Starter), and get the same results. The most current version that worked on all my machines is 13.06 build 69, but that one isn't in the download area anymore.

I just downloaded and tried tcc/le 13.06 build 75, and get the same results. This time it was on a Windows 7 Ultimate machines. I've tried the last two builds on XP and Windows 7 (Ultimate and Starter), and get the same results. The most current version that worked on all my machines is 13.06 build 69, but that one isn't in the download area anymore.
Works fine for me in Win7 x64 Pro.

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? And are you trying to run 32-bit or 64-bit TCC/LE?

Do you have any common third-party apps on all those systems? (Particularly any antivirus or screen manager apps.) Also, check your antivirus logs to see if you're getting a false positive (& automatic shutdown) on tcc.exe.