1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCC requires elevation to run

Discussion in 'Support' started by evanb, Aug 30, 2011.

1. evanb

TCMD/TCC 12 running on 64-bit Windows 7; My user account is a domain administrator and a member of machine's Administrator's group.

I've just encountered this behavior today (30 Aug). TCMD, which started two TCC tabs yesterday and has been running with them open since, failed to open another today, displaying instead a dialog saying "the requested operation requires elevation". I also now cannot run TCC directly without granting elevated privilege through the UAC dialog.

I'm not sure what criteria Win7 uses to determine that running a program requires elevated privileges and I certainly have no idea what has changed in the past 24 hours.

I can work around the problem saying Yes to the UAC dialog or by running as administrator from TCC's context menu, but I'd prefer not to do all of my command line operations at that level.

Any ideas?

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

There is nothing in TCC which would require elevation.

The most likely culprits are something in your TCSTART, a third-party app
    injecting code into TCC, or a plugin. (And as always, rounding out the
    field is "Windows is wacked out and needs rebooting".)

3. evanb

The problem (which I discovered entirely by accident) was that that TCC.exe's Compatibility properties were marked to "run as administrator". I didn't make the setting; I'll blame it on Win7's pathologically complex security and try to remember what the solution was if it happens again.

Thanks.