Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC scrollback buffer size

Feb
Can someone tell me how to set the TCC scrollback buffer size? I know I can set it in shortcut properties, but this doesn't help when I'm launching it from the Windows Explorer context menu.

Thanks!

TCC itself, or TCC under TCMD? TCC itself has no control over that, it's up to the console window settings. If you right click on the titlebar, there should be a "Defaults" menu item, try setting the options there and then close the window, see if that helps windows created in the future to obtain the settings you desire.

TCC itself, or TCC under TCMD? TCC itself has no control over that, it's up to the console window settings. If you right click on the titlebar, there should be a "Defaults" menu item, try setting the options there and then close the window, see if that helps windows created in the future to obtain the settings you desire.
Windows will remember the settings on an app-by-app basis. So instead of setting it in "Defaults" (all console apps) you can set it in "Properties". Windows remembers these things in subkeys of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\" (have a look).

This is TCC itself, launched from the explorer context menu. I'm (almost) positive that I've been able to set the buffer size in the past. Setting the 'Defaults' does not affect the screen buffer size on the next launch, which is strange because the value I set persists. Rebooting did not make a difference.

I did find the key but as you say, it records the 'Properties' values. In this case Properties does not apply because I'm launching TCC from the explorer context menu.

Windows will remember the settings on an app-by-app basis. So instead of setting it in "Defaults" (all console apps) you can set it in "Properties". Windows remembers these things in subkeys of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\" (have a look).

Can someone tell me how to set the TCC scrollback buffer size? I know I can set it in shortcut properties, but this doesn't help when I'm launching it from the Windows Explorer context menu.

Change the console's size in the "Layout" tab of the console's Properties dialog (in the control menu, which you get by clicking on the icon at the top left of the console window). When you click on OK after changing the buffer size, you should be prompted to save your changes for future consoles with the same title. (The exact wording differs in different versions of Windows; can't be too predictable.)

Change the console's size in the "Layout" tab of the console's Properties dialog (in the control menu, which you get by clicking on the icon at the top left of the console window). When you click on OK after changing the buffer size, you should be prompted to save your changes for future consoles with the same title. (The exact wording differs in different versions of Windows; can't be too predictable.)
Win7 doesn't ask; it just saves. But you may have to make adjustments in "Properties" for each of various ways in which you start TCC. For example, I have both "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\G:_TC14_TCC.EXE" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\TCC".

I've got both as well (not on my G: drive), but it doesn't matter what I set the values to, it has no effect on launching from explorer's context menu. It does change what happens when I launch from a shortcut, and the values aren't at all intuitive.

Win7 doesn't ask; it just saves. But you may have to make adjustments in "Properties" for each of various ways in which you start TCC. For example, I have both "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\G:_TC14_TCC.EXE" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\TCC".

I found the solution. First, I should have been more specific about the context menu thing. TCC appears in my Windows Explorer context menu:
4NTScreenShot.jpg

I use FileMenu Tools (which you can see in the line above 4NT), a free and, for me, essential tool for Windows 7; I would hate to be without this great tool (http://tinyurl.com/y7u6w8). FileMenu Tools allows me to add TCC (and anything else I wish) to my context menu among other things. It also comes with lots of useful pre-defined context menu items that you may display in your context menu as you please.
Now, on to the fix. It seems that TCC uses the values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console to determine its scrollbuffer size( when it is not launched from a shortcut). When it is launched from a shortcut it respects the value set in the shortcut properties.
I’m not sure what affect the TCC keys under Console do, in fact they no longer appear in my registry because, in trying to find a solution I uninstalled TCC, deleted the TCC keys, and reinstalled TCC. I haven’t taken time to investigate further.
When you look at the ScreenBufferSize values you’ll see that they aren’t what you might expect. For example, a screen buffer size of 0x270F0050 represents a buffer size of 80 characters wide (0050) by 9999 lines deep (270F).
Using the ScreenBufferSize value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console I was able to set my TCC screen buffer to hold 30,000 lines (not that I need this many; I was just playing).
Thanks for all your help!