Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC starts with delay on Servers

Apr
When starting TCC or TCMD on a Server (Windows 2008R2) a delay of more than 30 sec. occurs between “Copyright …” and “Registered to ...” messages.

On Windows 7 or 10 the behavior is normal.

Our Servers are not allowed to connect to the internet – maybe this is the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds on how to fix this?

BTW: TCMD V20 does not show this problem.

Many thanks in advance

Manfred

Not reproducible here.

There isn't any internet connection attempted when checking registration. What TCC / TCMD is doing is calling a COM dll (IsLicense50.dll) to determine whether the software is licensed.

Try starting an elevated session and do a "regsvr32 islicense50.dll" in the TCMD installation directory.

Not reproducible here.

There isn't any internet connection attempted when checking registration. What TCC / TCMD is doing is calling a COM dll (IsLicense50.dll) to determine whether the software is licensed.

Try starting an elevated session and do a "regsvr32 islicense50.dll" in the TCMD installation directory.

Did it:
upload_2017-8-24_15-16-19.png

But behavior didn't change!
I also run TCC /N, but without success - I'll try to find out more by using Sysinternals ProcMon.

Rex Conn told me that TCC does not use the internet to do the licence check. That tcc 20 loads in the same environment is the hint of this.

In the end, more serious problems overwhelmed me, such as the network moden being killed off, and windows use of various back copies to 'restore' old data over new. So i did not spend a good deal of time on tcc.

In any case, the problem slowly went away, but in the meanwhile, i fired up 4nt/tcmd 8.01 to deal with this issue (in essence, the earlier proggies were used to run my rexx scripts, and most of the wish-list for the command prompt were implemented in Windows 2000, and run nicely under more recent versions.

@MaartenG in private conversation, suggested that using earlier versions of registry tools (eg reg.exe from win2k), might have given some source of greif, but these were in use with v19 and v20 as well, which did not experience the delay in registration load, even when run parallel with v21. So it's not a temporal event (ie some virus or bug that came at the same time as v21). So i suspect it's something that happens when v21 loads.

I got a new novel of late 'trouble-shooting with the Windows Sysinternals Tools', which mentions something similar, but i should re-search for this again.

Have a look at RegSvrEx at https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3505/RegSvrEx-An-Enchanced-COM-Server-Registration-Util

It might hold the clue to what's going on, but I usually route my tcc starts through a copy of windows "write", which loads an apppaths exe 'tccu.exe', this in turn moves the load to tcc.exe in whatever the current set version is. In part, I was using the win2k reg.exe to implement the changes to apppaths, which is why MaartenG suggested updating reg.exe to Windows 6.1.

The \folders\background\shell pointers points to a write.exe program modified to cmx.exe, the various versions seek out cmd.exe, 4nt.exe or tcc.exe by replacing cmx.exe.

But running tccu.exe or even loading tcc.exe from the app home directory did not help with the delay. The delay is thus not how tcc or tc is started, but rather between when the primary exe is loaded (ie it types out the version, and calls IsRegistered50.dll), and waiting on the response to this.

The delays were mainly 10 seconds (ie 10 flashes of the cursor). A thirty-second delay might be consistant with some sort of permissions request.

Running tcc under trusted installer's token did not get rid of the problem either, although this environment was dandy for deleting Microsoft's GWX 'utility'.

Sounds much like an intrusive(obtusive) injection into DLL loading process. Check loaded DLL's in the program space and compare to a list of DLL's on a system where the effect is not reproducible.

I traced the start sequence of TCC using "Proccess Monitor" and found several "TCP Reconnect" entries each with 6 sec. delay (perhaps because of the missing internet connection), but I've no idea how to fix it:

"10:28:03.9428549 AM","tcc.exe","5392","TCP Reconnect","MUCS73123.corp.knorr-bremse.com:56039 -> 2.17.123.56:http","SUCCESS","Length: 0, seqnum: 0, connid: 0"
"10:28:09.9488642 AM","tcc.exe","5392","TCP Reconnect","MUCS73123.corp.knorr-bremse.com:56039 -> 2.17.123.56:http","SUCCESS","Length: 0, seqnum: 0, connid: 0"
"10:28:15.8672095 AM","tcc.exe","5392","CreateFile","C:\Users\<my_account>\AppData\LocalLow","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened"
"10:28:18.9188577 AM","tcc.exe","5392","TCP Reconnect","MUCS73123.corp.knorr-bremse.com:56040 -> ch4plpkivs-v03.any.prod.ord1.secureserver.net:http","SUCCESS","Length: 0, seqnum: 0, connid: 0"
"10:28:24.9404572 AM","tcc.exe","5392","TCP Reconnect","MUCS73123.corp.knorr-bremse.com:56040 -> ch4plpkivs-v03.any.prod.ord1.secureserver.net:http","SUCCESS","Length: 0, seqnum: 0, connid: 0"