Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC window caption in elevated session?

May
I have the same TCC 19.10.46 and very similar set-ups at home and at work. The TCSTART.BTM files and the TITLEPROMPT envvar are identical and both have "UpdateTitle" unchecked. In both places, I can start an elevated session by using SCHTASKS.EXE to run an on-demand, highest privileges task with action "[path\]tcc.exe /q". And of course, I can also right-click on TCC.EXE and choose "Run as administrator".

But the behavior of the console's caption is very different on the two computers.

At home, an elevated session started by either of the means mentioned above has, as caption, only my TITLEPROMPT (just like an ordinary session).

At work, an elevated session started with SCHTASKS has the caption "Administrator: taskeng.exe". And one started with right-click - Run as admin has the caption "Administrator: <my titleprompt>".

So, I have two questions. Why is there no elevated indication in the caption at home? And, at work, how does "taskeng.exe" (which I know is used to run a task) make it into the caption?

There's only three possible reasons why the "Administrator:" text isn't in the titlebar:

1) You've defined a default session title
2) TCC can't load the language dll
3) TCC doesn't have the rights to query the process token (OpenProcessToken / GetTokenInformation)

I suspect your particular issue is due to #1.

There's only three possible reasons why the "Administrator:" text isn't in the titlebar:

1) You've defined a default session title
2) TCC can't load the language dll
3) TCC doesn't have the rights to query the process token (OpenProcessToken / GetTokenInformation)

I suspect your particular issue is due to #1.
What is, and how would I define, a "default session title"? I've used TITLEPROMPT and UpdateTitle=No since they were available.

Any other ideas? Where do you suppose it's getting the text "taskeng.exe" (when started elevated as a run-on-demand task)? It's not inheriting it from a console since taskeng.exe, TCC's parent, is a GUI app.