TCMD 25 - Unregister older TCMD version

May 30, 2008
I saw that TCMD 25 allows you to view your license information and unregister specific computers.

Since I will be getting the work laptop refreshed I thought to unregister the old one for TCMD20 to save a license.

Is that supposed to work?

I can enter the TCMD20 license key in the TCMD25 license dialog and view the TCMD20 licences; currently my home computer and old and new work laptops. So far, so good.

I can also enter the TCMD20 license in the dialog and press Unregister. I then get a popup that says "Removed registration key file for "<old computer name>". A web page is also opened that shows the activation key and the computer name with a Deactivate button.

But when I press the Deactivate button I get this message: "The license NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN was not activated on your computer. " Subsequently viewing the license info for the TCMD20 key also shows all three computers still being licensed.

All of this is being run using the newest TCMD25 on the old laptop, the one to be unregistered. Am I doing something wrong or missing some steps?

I would be surprised if the new deactivation mechanism worked for older versions, but then I was also surprised to see that it displayed the license information for versions going back to 12.10 (although in my case a couple of the results look a little shonky - with my gaming rig having been activated for both v14 and v16 at subtly different points around about the time today that I started playing with this - but the rest all look pretty much spot on).

FWIW Rex has stated on these forums that you need to contact JPsoft to get adjustments made to the old license activations.

Edit: for shigs I tried to deactivate my gaming rig for v20 (since it has been upgraded to v25) and was told that the process had been successful. Displaying the current activations afresh shows the gaming rig still on the list, but with an activation date and time of when I deactivated it. Results for other than v25 might be unpredictable, methinks :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
MickeyF equivalent to TCSTART.btm for TCMD? Support 4
D Fixed TCMD /X option Support 7
vefatica TCMD hides itself! Support 3
vefatica Tray min'd TCMD and ACTIVATE Support 6
C How to? starting TCC/TCMD v25 Support 2
CWBillow TCC and TCMD in Powershell Support 6
kb6ojs How to? "Specified Account Already Exists" error installing TCMD v27 Support 12
CWBillow TCMD Colors Support 8
Jay Sage Issues With TCMD File Explorer Support 0
C Last TCMD that supports win 7? Support 5
gentzel TCMD background color confusion Support 6
R Upgrade TCMD 19 to TCC 26 Support 1
Alpengreis Remaining TCMD background process (v26) ... Support 19
S Windows Server version not being detected correctly in TCMD 26RC2 Support 9
G TCMD crash when copy Support 3
Joe Caverly DrawVLine results different in TCMD tab and detached TCC Support 11
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Small space problem with the DE translation in Prefs-GUI Support 1
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Problem with copy and paste and the # char via mouse in TCC Support 6
Jay Sage TCMD Crashes with "tctoolbar /c /r file" Support 5
G Documentation on TCMD.INI Support 9
R New Clear Buffer in TCMD Home Menu Support 2
CWBillow Back up TCMD tabs Support 2
CWBillow Upgrade Windows 10's effect on TCMD and TCC Support 3
DrusTheAxe TCMD 24.02.49 x64 crashed due to DivideByZero :-( Support 4
A After update to 24.02.49, helpfile tcmd.chm hangs when opened Support 0
David McClelland TCMD 24 & Perl - perl thinks it's own executable is ...\TCMD24\TCC.EXE??? Support 3
dcantor How to? Can 32-bit TCC be run on a system with 64-bit TCMD and TCC installed? Support 6
W pdir returns diff results between tcc and tcmd - one is an error msg Support 5
vefatica What's TCMD's problem with ^e[0m? Support 13
CWBillow TCMD PowerShell Tab elevated Support 6
A How to? Copy+Paste in TCMD tabs with Ctrl-Shift-Ins? Support 5
vefatica TCMD output invisible on Win10 Support 22
J Moving from TCC v22 to TCMD v24 issues Support 3
RChrismon How to? Copy TCMD.INI to New Version Support 7
rps TCMD OPTIONS dialog Support 2
rps TCMD Tabs priority option setting Support 0
D Can we fix the scaling for TCmd? Support 14
CWBillow TCMD Tab Defs Support 4
A How to? TCMD Configuration Dialog: 'Smooth Scrolling' Option missing? Support 1
A Fixed [23.0.22]: TCMD crashes shortly after start, TCC keeps running in background Support 6
A TCMD - Dir Command puts out blank lines? Support 16
P Symantec Endpoint Protection trapped TCMD.EXE and said it contained WS.Reputation.1 (Virus?) Support 3
Emilio III TCMD Tab titles on Insider Windows Support 2
kb6ojs Want to start TCMD v20 with every Windows 10 bootup Support 3
D Tcmd 22.00.42 - annoying desktop refresh Support 47
CWBillow Context menu extensions for TCC/TCMD v18? Support 1
vefatica Pasting into TCMD via right-click menu? Support 2
M Please explain TCMD's ANSI x3.64 support Support 4
CWBillow Powershell tab in TCMD? Support 2
D Custom ini-file is not read, by tcmd.exe cli Support 6