Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tcmd/64 issue - options not saving

Dec
options/configure take command on the "tabs" tab.

changing options like background color and tab prefrences like "run-as" and password are not being saved.

Running Win7/64
tcmd/64 12.10

Thanks,
Jim Klein

options/configure take command on the "tabs" tab.

changing options like background color and tab prefrences like "run-as" and password are not being saved.

Not reproducible here (and nothing in that code has changed since 12.0). Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking, and where your TCMD.INI is located?

Anybody else able to reproduce this?

It is not saving my Tab Colors setting. Is it perhaps being overridden by the Themes setting? I don't use the Run As box.

Not reproducible here (and nothing in that code has changed since 12.0). Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking, and where your TCMD.INI is located?

C:\]dir tcmd.ini /s
Volume in drive C is unlabeled Serial number is f8a4:757d
Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft\tcmd.ini
3/24/2011 14:31 950 TCMD.INI
950 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs 4,096 bytes allocated
Total for: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft\tcmd.ini
Total for: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\tcmd.ini
Total for: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\tcmd.ini
Total for: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\tcmd.ini
Total for: C:\Documents and Settings\tcmd.ini
Total for: C:\tcmd.ini
13,984,796,672 bytes free
[C:\]

I can also reproduce this on a test Virtual Machine running WinXP that never has run tcmd.

> It is not saving my Tab Colors setting. Is it perhaps being overridden by
> the Themes setting? I don't use the Run As box.

Colors are not overridden by themes. (However, tab colors in TCMD will be
overridden by colors in the console windows.)

How are you determining that it's not saving your Tab Colors settings -- is
the TCMD.INI file not updating? Are the values shown in the configuration
dialog reset when you close it & redisplay it?

Rex Conn
JP Software

How are you determining that it's not saving your Tab Colors settings -- is the TCMD.INI file not updating? Are the values shown in the configuration dialog reset when you close it & redisplay it?
Both. It is saving the TCMD.INI file, but comparing them, the only change was that it moved the [TCFILTERS] block to a different line.
When opening the Tab Colors dialog, it is always set to the same color. I can change it, hit Apply, and hit OK, but when I return, it is reset to the color it was when I opened it the first time.
Looking through TCMD.INI, I am unable to even find ANY reference to colors at all.
Code:
[TakeCommand]
CommandInput=No
AutoUpdateFolders=No
CloseIfNoTabs=Yes
ClosePrompt=No
DescriptionMax=512
Descriptions=Yes
LinuxSelection=No
LockExplorerBar=No
LockMenuBar=No
LockTabBar=No
MinimizeOnClose=No
MouseWheel=Yes
NTFSDescriptions=No
PathExt=No
RegularExpressions=Perl
SettingChange=No
SHChangeNotify=No
ShowHiddenFiles=No
ShowSysFiles=No
ShowSuperHidden=No
SingleClick=No
ShowExtensions=Yes
StartDirectory=C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx
UpdateTitle=No
Wow64FsRedirection=Yes
ZoneId=0
AlwaysOnTop=No
AppendToDir=No
CompleteHiddenFiles=No
CompleteHiddenDirs=No
CompletePaths=No
CompletePercents=No
IBeamCursor=No
InactiveTransparency=255
ServerCompletion=Local
SingleInstance=No
Transparency=255
Tray=No
WindowState=Standard
AutoAttachConsoles=No
COMSPEC=C:\MyProgramFiles\JPSoft\TCMD12\tcc.exe
ConsoleBufferRows=5000
IBeamCaret=No
LeftAltKey=Yes
LeftCtrlKey=No
RightAltKey=No
RightCtrlKey=No
SmoothScroll=No
StartTabWait=0
TabIcons=Yes
Tabs=Top
TabSize=20
TabRotation=No
TabX=Selected
[4NT]
ANSI=Yes
CDDWinLeft=20
CDDWinTop=20
CDDWinWidth=554
CDDWinHeight=140
PopupWinHeight=140
PopupWinTop=10
PopupWinLeft=40
PopupWinWidth=300
WindowHeight=0
WindowState=Standard
WindowWidth=0
WindowX=0
WindowY=0
Transparency=255
InactiveTransparency=255
AppendToDir=No
CompleteHiddenFiles=No
CompleteHiddenDirs=No
CompletePaths=No
CompletePercents=No
CursorIns=100
CursorOver=15
DirHistory=10240
DirHistoryOnEntry=No
EditMode=Overstrike
FuzzyCD=1
HistMin=0
History=24576
HistCase=No
HistCopy=No
HistDups=Off
HistMove=No
HistWrap=Yes
ServerCompletion=Local
TreePath=C:\MyProgramFiles\JPSoft\TCMD12
AmPm=No
BeepFreq=0
BeepLength=2
CommandSep=&
DecimalChar=Auto
DescriptionMax=512
NTFSDescriptions=No
Descriptions=Yes
EscapeChar=^
EvalMax=10
EvalMin=0
ExpandPseudovariables=Yes
ParameterChar=$
RegularExpressions=Perl
SwitchChar=/
TabStops=8
ThousandsChar=Auto
Proxy=xx.x.xxx.xx
ProxyPort=8080
FirewallType=None
FirewallPort=1080
PassiveFTP=No
FTPTimeout=180
HTTPTimeout=180
TFTPTimeout=180
MailPort=25
RLocalPort=0
SHLocalPort=0
SSHPort=22
SSLStartMode=0
SSLPort=0
AutoCancel=No
AutoCDD=Yes
AutoRun=Yes
BatchAliases=Yes
BatchEcho=Yes
CMDExtensions=No
CopyPrompt=No
DelayedExpansion=No
DelGlobalQuery=Yes
DirJunctions=Yes
DuplicateBugs=Yes
ExecWait=No
HistLogOn=No
LocalAliases=No
LocalDirHistory=No
LocalFunctions=No
LocalHistory=No
LogAll=No
LogOn=No
LogErrors=No
MouseWheel=Yes
NoClobber=No
PathExt=No
Perl=Yes
Python=Yes
RecycleBin=Yes
Rexx=Yes
Ruby=No
SettingChange=No
SHChangeNotify=No
Tcl=No
TCStartPath=C:\MyProgramFiles\JPSoft\TCMD12
UnicodeOutput=No
UnixPaths=No
UpdateTitle=Yes
Win32SFNSearch=No
Wow64FsRedirection=Yes
ZoneId=0
4StartPath=C:\MyProgramFiles\JPSoft\TCMD12
[PopupFont]
Font=Consolas
Size=-16
Weight=400
Italic=0
Script=0
[Font]
font=Consolas
size=-16
weight=400
italic=0
Script=0
[ListView]
Style=1
[Tab1]
Title=TCC Prompt
Command=C:\MyProgramFiles\JPSoft\TCMD12\tcc.exe
Directory=C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx
RunAs=
Password=
[Tab2]
Title=Bash
Command=C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i
[TCFilters]
3=apps
2=apps*
1=e*

Both. It is saving the TCMD.INI file, but comparing them, the only change was that it moved the [TCFILTERS] block to a different line.
When opening the Tab Colors dialog, it is always set to the same color. I can change it, hit Apply, and hit OK, but when I return, it is reset to the color it was when I opened it the first time.
Looking through TCMD.INI, I am unable to even find ANY reference to colors at all.

APPLY will not save the values to TCMD.INI, it just changes the values currently in use (and they will be discarded upon exit).

it just changes the values currently in use (and they will be discarded upon exit).
I guess it discards them sooner than expected since the tabs don't change color upon closing the color selection dialog.

I guess it discards them sooner than expected since the tabs don't change color upon closing the color selection dialog.

As I said previously, if you have colors in your console window they will override any colors set in the TCMD tab dialog. The *only* time those colors take effect is in starting a new tab where the console has no colors (i.e., default white on black).

The colors are set to 'default'.

And did you start a new tab?
I have started all sorts of tabs; tabs where the console window is (TCC, bash, sh, another sh, another TCC, etc) and tabs that show belonging to the Tabbed Toolbar. Each time changing the color and none of them show the color I am selecting.

The *only* time those colors take effect is in starting a new tab where the console has no colors (i.e., default white on black).
I have made sure that all my console tabs (and tabbed toolbar tabs, though I don't think these are the ones we are talking about) have the DEFAULT foreground and DEFAULT background color selected. Even upon restart, my tab colors are not applied.

I can see you are trying to troubleshoot the issue with
How are you determining that it's not saving your Tab Colors settings -- is the TCMD.INI file not updating? Are the values shown in the configuration dialog reset when you close it & redisplay it?
and
It would be more useful to see the actual contents of TCMD.INI, to see if the tab colors were saved.
but then you contradict yourself with
APPLY will not save the values to TCMD.INI, it just changes the values currently in use (and they will be discarded upon exit).
If it is not a contradiction, then what method must be used to make sure the values are saved?

Lastly I must provide a counter-example to
Colors are not overridden by themes. (However, tab colors in TCMD will be overridden by colors in the console windows.)
There are three attachments to this message with clipped screen captures of the tabs in TCMD. Each of them has differently colored tabs. Note in particular the office2003.jpg image. The tabs in that image ARE colored, however, I had no input as to which colors were selected. The colors were assigned for me.

Would you please provide a step-by-step walk-through of how to use Options > Configure Take Command... > Tabs > Windows > Tab Colors?

Attachments

• office2000.jpg
    office2000.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 280
  • office2003.jpg
    office2003.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 273
  • vs2010.jpg
    vs2010.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 280
We may be talking about completely different things.

Are you talking about the color of the tab itself, or the colors displayed by the text in the tab window (i.e., what TCC shows)? The former is not changeable; only the latter is affected by the "tab colors" option. (See the help for details.)

The color (and shape) of tabs are determined by the theme.

We may be talking about completely different things.
You couldn't have hit the nail on the head any harder than that. We weren't talking apples and oranges, we were talking apples and hippos or something.

OK. I understand how it works now.

The Tab Colors button is used to define the colors in the Custom Colors palette which is used by the Foreground and Background color selector pull-downs.

I see where my confusion was coming from. In the documentation, Tab Colors is listed under the Tabs: heading along with Tab Size, Tab Icons, etc..., instead of the Windows: heading (where it is actually located in the option dialog box) which implied that it controlled the tab itself.

Please move the Tab Colors help down to the Windows: section and I think my italicized "understanding" text above would make an excellent addition to the Tab Colors help.

Returning hijacked thread back to its original owner.