Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCMD29 toolbar icon size vs. TCMD28

May
Just installed TCMD29 on Windows 10 today and found the toolbar icons are not all the larger size as TCMD28 uses.
Is there a setting for this that I've missed?
You can see some samples of the differences in the attached image.

Attachments

• TCMD-Toolbar-Icons.png
    TCMD-Toolbar-Icons.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 131
Tried that -- same result. I have both TCMD 28 and TCMD 29 installed. I do this with each new release until lots of "stuff" is checked, then the older version gets uninstalled. TCMD 28 shows these icons fine -- all are the large size.

I even tried temporarily switching the registry names 28 swapped with 29 (after saving the existing entries) and the same result -- small icons on some buttons, large on others.

The installations are in C:\TCMD28 and C:\TCMD29. I've used directories with these names ever since the first release of TCMD way back when (15+ years now!).

Both are x64 versions running in Windows 10 within a Parallels VM on macOS. (This works brilliantly!)

I'll have to live with this until it somehow "fixes itself" if you have no other ideas. Maybe it works after TCMD 28 gets removed? We'll see...

I have more examples that I believe are related to this problem. Invocation of EXEs shows differences in rendering and scaling when run from v28 vs. v29 -- even the same EXE running two instances. Also, simply using the Ctrl+PgUp to show directory history exhibits the behavior. Please see the TCMD28_vs_29-Readme.txt file in the attached TCMD28_vs_29.zip for descriptions and screenshot examples.

Quite odd, I must say. Any help I can provide -- I'm here and ready...

Attachments

• TCMD28_vs_29.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
Regarding point 1: it certainly does. I have multiple examples of this. Running from TCC comand-line -- the exact same EXE will produce different results on screen when invoked from v28 TCMD vs v29. I was quite surprised to see this -- especially when they were side by side staring me in the face. How can the same app report different PPI when run from v28 vs. v29? Yet, they do. (I must note that this effect has not been seen with any other version of TCMD -- only v29. I also know it will eventually be figured out -- these things always are.)

OK, you got me there on that font size setting! I did not have them set the same. v29 will still display an elevator where v28 does not when using the directory history. V29 on the left in the attached image.

I am suspecting the "GUI framework library" that has been updated. Windows is certainly weird -- and I think they blew it with the GUI scaling as implemented. I've fought similar problems over the years with my apps. Always a major hassle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    748.6 KB · Views: 126
Regarding point 1: it certainly does. I have multiple examples of this. Running from TCC comand-line -- the exact same EXE will produce different results on screen when invoked from v28 TCMD vs v29. I was quite surprised to see this -- especially when they were side by side staring me in the face. How can the same app report different PPI when run from v28 vs. v29? Yet, they do. (I must note that this effect has not been seen with any other version of TCMD -- only v29. I also know it will eventually be figured out -- these things always are.)

Not possible unless (1) you have different settings in your TCMD28 environment vs. TCMD29, or (2) you've discovered a major (as in catastrophic!) Windows bug.

Where could I look for differences anywhere but in TCMD.INI? (The only differences in the registry are binaries that cannot be decoded.) That shows only some sizing differences. v29 shows about 2x scaling vs. v28. The first image is a capture of v29 on the left, v28 on the right -- running at the same time, on the same monitor (I have three: left, center, and right. This image is a capture on the center). Same PopupFont setting. They are behaving differently and the INI shows this in the second difference (only four deltas in the INIs): PopupWinTop should be the same as should PopupWinWidth. The PopupFont.Size is ~2x different, yet both are set for "16". One is scaling differently.

It would not surprise me at all if this is a Windows bug due to the crazy business with the toolbar icons.

Attachments

• PU-View.png
    PU-View.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 117
  • TCMD-INI-Delta.png
    TCMD-INI-Delta.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 118
Things look pretty good to me. I have two monitors with the same scaling. My v29 TCMD.INI is a hand-me-down from v28. Were the two TCs started on the same monitor?

1670352967684.png

I did the same thing -- saved a copy of the prior INI file and used v28 for v29 (I always do this).
Yes, both started on the same 5K monitor. I have three 5K guys: left, center, and right. All tests are on the center (main). Check this out after running these lines:

echo Primary: %@winmetrics[0]x%@winmetrics[1]
echo Virtual: %@winmetrics[78]x%@winmetrics[79]
echo Monitors: %@winmetrics[80]

v28 reports the Windows scaled sizes, v29 reports the full screen sizes. How can this be?

TCMD28-29-Resolution.png

It occurred to me that TCMD or TCC had to have a DPI override. Sure enough, the v29 TCC.EXE had the "High DPI scaling override" checked to use "Application". How? I have no idea. I'm the one and only user and I certainly did not do this.

Now that it is off, v29 reports the proper 2560x1440 and does the right thing with popup windows. When running the app noted previously -- it now scales all elements properly. Now I'm back to the original problem that started this thread: some of the toolbar icons in v29 are small, where others are the proper large size.

TCC29-High-DPI.png

I just stopped by because my v28 icons are nicely sized (4k) and my v29 icons are smaller, but I couldn't figure out how to get my v29 icons sized the same as v28.

I tried a number of things and set everything back to defaults. Still different. Here are the icons from the two versions:

v28 Icons.jpg

v29 Icons.jpg

I looked at the processes for both versions and don't see anything that stands out:

v28 and v29 running.jpg

v28 and v29 details with DPI Awareness.jpg

v28 and v29 conhost details with DPI Awareness.jpg

Currently running 4k setup that's been stable since early this year. I checked compatibility settings for all executables and nothing is marked either for local user or for all users.

Thanks.

Strangely, I've discovered that the icon size issue also occurs in the IDE.

IDE28.jpg

IDE29.jpg

I've been trying to find any difference between v28 and v29. I noticed that when using the Win10Dark theme, v29 uses the system highlight/accent color (which might just be a recent improvement) while v28 doesn't. Here are both, with foreground.

1670529382188.png

1670529405597.png

Notice how the title bar icons vary (slightly) in size. V28 on top, V29 below. This is with "Office 2007 Black" theme.

TCMD28-29-Office_2007_Black.png

I've been trying to find any difference between v28 and v29. I noticed that when using the Win10Dark theme, v29 uses the system highlight/accent color (which might just be a recent improvement) while v28 doesn't. Here are both, with foreground.

View attachment 3803

View attachment 3804

WAD - that's an improvement in the latest GUI framework.

Well, I finally gave up. I've tried numerous things to get v29 to provide the large icon sizes at 4K that I had with v28 at 4K, but no luck at all.

If I leave W10 compatibility for high DPI off, the icons are tiny. If I turn it on and select use this setting(...) + use scaling provided by Application, the icons are tiny. If I select use this setting(...) + scaling provided by System, the size is just like with v28, but dialogs are fuzzy as expected. If I select use this setting(...) + scaling provided by System Enhanced, the size is just like with v28, but I see lots of visual artifacting. I'm running an RTX 4080 with latest drivers and excellent system stability.

Finally, I uninstalled v29 and reinstalled the latest v28 TCMD. It looks great at 4K. I wish I could get v29 to look as nice as v28 (crispy-sharp resolution and larger icons), but I'm happy with what v28 provides. Heck, I started with 4DOS and NDOS thirty years ago, and v28 is a million miles past that.