Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

This network connection does not exist

May
I just started TCMD for the first time in my new Win7 install. I immediately got a message box:

Code:
Take Command
---------------------------
This network connection does not exist.
"d:\tc13\tcc.exe /q"

OK, so I hadn't changed the path to TCC. But "network connection" ... ???

Ask Microsoft; it's their error message text.
What Windows API function produced it or set last error to produce it? The erroneous string was specified as TCMD's ComSpec (OPTION).

As Take Command makes several thousand API calls during startup, it would be really difficult (as in impossible) to track down the specific one without a lot more info from you about exactly where it's occurring.
It happens as soon as I start TCMD, and TCMD starts with no tabs. I imagine it's happening when TCMD first tries to start its ComSpec (CreateProcess?). Do you use the ComSpec name before that in such a way that its (the file's) not existing would generate a system message?

TCMD only looks for COMSPEC in two places:

1) When you're starting a tab with no arguments, and
2) When you double-click on a batch file in the list view.

Do you have any predefined startup tabs, or are you starting TCMD and expecting it to default to a tab running COMSPEC (#1 above)? If it's #1, and you've misconfigured COMSPEC, then TCMD runs through the path and App Paths. Do you have a network drive in your path or App Paths?

TCMD only looks for COMSPEC in two places:

1) When you're starting a tab with no arguments, and
2) When you double-click on a batch file in the list view.

Do you have any predefined startup tabs, or are you starting TCMD and expecting it to default to a tab running COMSPEC (#1 above)? If it's #1, and you've misconfigured COMSPEC, then TCMD runs through the path and App Paths. Do you have a network drive in your path or App Paths?
I don't have any startup tabs defined. I was expecting COMSPEC in a default tab. And I don't have any network paths in the places you mentioned. The drive (d:\) to which the bogus COMSPEC referred does not exist; maybe someone (TCMD, Some Windows API?) misinterprets that situation.

OT: In my new Win7 installation, I'm running TCC/TCMD from its old location, never formally installed, but registered (manually). Will "OPTION /U" work OK?

Vince, just a wild shot, are you starting TCMD with the schtasks.exe trick? Maybe it affects PATH, startup up registry entries, or mapped drives.