Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Tie-in to Win 10 x64's WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux

I post these here to follow the progress of Microsoft's integration of Linux. At some point TCC will need to fully and transparently integrate with WSL, but WSL is still too early in the developmental stage. Once Windows developers start routinely accessing Linux routines from within their applications, etc., as an integral part of their application, then it will be time for TCC to take a serious look at integrating access to WSL functionality. That's very likely at least 2-3 years away.

I would be nearly perfectly happy if I could get TCC's style of command line filename completion working in Linux.

I use 'list' and ffind a lot too. If I switch to grep/sed/awk I'll probably install bash for windows from git and abandon ffind, and less sort of works for list.

Anyone have advice for those things, given TCC on Linux seems like it's years away?

== John ==

You actually can run TCC from WSL. WSL is aware of and knows how to run Windows apps. Just make sure you add the EXE extension. I have TCC installed in C:\TC27.
Code:
/mnt/c/TC27/tcc.exe

I use a similar mechanism for the clipboard. You can send output to the clipboard using the Clip.exe application. And you can use either TCC or Powershell to pull stuff from the clipboard.
Code:
ls -la | Clip.exe
Powershell.exe Get-Clipboard
/mnt/c/TC27/tcc.exe -c type clip:

Although, there still isn't a clean way to do something like this:
Code:
do f in @clip: (git add %f)

I can use the mouse and copy lines of text from the console and then use the above command to run a repetitive operation on the file names in the clipboard.

You need to pipe the output of the above Powershell Get-Clipboard or type clip: commands into a for read loop in bash.

I would be nearly perfectly happy if I could get TCC's style of command line filename completion working in Linux.

I use 'list' and ffind a lot too. If I switch to grep/sed/awk I'll probably install bash for windows from git and abandon ffind, and less sort of works for list.

Anyone have advice for those things, given TCC on Linux seems like it's years away?

== John ==
John,

I set up this thread to monitor Microsoft's progress in fully integrating WSL into Windows. At some point (probably 2-3 years away) TCC will need to fully and transparently handle Linux access, at least WSL.

This thread is not for "how to" questions, it's just a convenience for JPSoft's long-term development plans so they don't have to spend time monitoring Microsoft's progress.

By the way, this isn't about some kind of TCC that runs under Linux, it's about from TCC in Windows accessing Linux under WSL, the same way TCC can access PERL, etc.

You should post any Linux/WSL "how to" questions in a different thread. I do see that Scott Mintz did answer your question here.

-- Rick Reinckens --

Since then, Microsoft realized this is impossible and using a fully isolated virtual machine for WSL now.
You keep making claims about "impossible", but they're simply not true.

As I've already pointed out in this thread, Microsoft already has a way to pass commands, variables, and results between Windows and WSL. That is what makes "integration" possible-- someone writing a Windows program could access something in Linux that comes built-in to Windows and receive back a valid result--the same as using an API.

It doesn't matter whether it's a virtual machine or whatever--from the programmer's perspective they're using Linux routines and code that doesn't natively run in Windows.

Because WSL is now built into Windows, more Windows programmers will gradually use the Linux code if it's already available.

And this is one reason Microsoft is integrating Linux.

Back