1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

@TIMEZONE missing from help

Discussion in 'Support' started by dcantor, Oct 9, 2009.

1. dcantor

Both the V10 and V11 help files are missing index entries for the internal variable _TIMEZONE.

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

That's an undocumented and unsupported variable name. If you're looking for the time zone offset, use %_tzo.

(How did you come across _TIMEZONE -- were you browsing the strings in takecmd.dll?)

3. dcantor

Re: _TIMEZONE missing from help

In this case, I did not browse the strings in the .DLL, though I admit to having done things like that in the past. Not this time. This was innocent.

I came across it testing out the new feature in V11 using F9 for completion of internal variable names. I typed the underscore and then F9 repeatedly, looking at all the names it generated. When I saw _TIMEZONE, I was curious, of course, and looked at the value. (I presume that's the "standard" number of minutes offset from UTC, without taking daylight time into account.) Then I looked for it in V10 and found it was there, too.

As long as it's there, why not document it? Can't hurt anyone, I suspect.

And, of course, it's _TIMEZONE, not @TIMEZONE. Sorry 'bout that.

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't help anyone either; it's obsolete and has been replaced by %_tzo.
    It's only maintained for backwards compatibility with (very) old batch
    files.

Rex Conn
    JP Software

5. dcantor

Ah, yes. I remember now. [duh. hits palm to forehead.] I was one of the people who asked for %_TZO and %_TZN, having found that %_TIMEZONE alone was insufficient.

What goes around comes around, I guess.

Many good features in V11, Rex. I will upgrade when you declare it to be soup.