Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toolbar Update to INI File Not Working

Jun
I just tried several times making changes to the Take Command toolbar and then invoking the option "Save to .INI". The INI file is not being updated. If I close Take Command and restart it, the old toolbar comes up, and a look at the INI file shows that it has not changed. (I was careful to make sure that I was dealing to the right INI file -- it's the one in the directory with tcmd.exe).

The "Reload from .INI" also does not work. This is with build 52.

Do you mean the "tabbed tool bar" on which you create/delete buttons or tabs? It's all working here. I wonder about the purpose of "save to INI". When creating or deleting a button or a tab, the new configuration is saved to the INI file as soon as I press "OK".

Same for "reload" ... if changes are saved immediately (on "OK") what's the point of "reload"?

Yes, I meant the tabbed toolbar. I see that you are right about the INI file being updated for manual changes to the toolbar after clicking OK. That explains why the "Reload from .INI" seemed not to be working: my manual toolbar changes were being saved to the INI file.

However, the INI file does not get updated when one loads the toolbar from a file (using "tctoolbar /r filename"). The "Save to .INI" function should save the current toolbar configuration to the INI file.

Of course, now that I have done these further experiments, the "Save to .INI" seems to be working, even after restarting Take Command. So apparently there was a gremlin before, and it has moved on to create trouble elsewhere.

Ughh. But now I just tried clearing the toolbar with "TCTOOLBAR /C" and then running "TCTOOLBAR /I" to reload it from the INI file. Nothing happened; I still have no toolbar. But loading the toolbar using "tctoolbar /r c:\tcmd\ver17\tctoolbar.txt" brings up a toolbar with all the tabs and tools duplicated. So apparently the command with "/I" was loading the toolbar but not causing it to be displayed.

I also have not had any luck with creating tabs and buttons using the item on the "Options" menu tab when the toolbar is empty:

upload_2014-11-14_13-50-59.png

I can add additional tabs and buttons, but I cannot create them after clearing the toolbar. Actually, to be more precise, the tabs and buttons are created (I see them in the INI file) but remain invisible. If I close Take Command and rerun it, then they appear.

So there certainly are some issues with the tabbed toolbar.

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-14_13-50-26.png
    upload_2014-11-14_13-50-26.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 271
I had a bit of trouble getting v16 to start because of INI file issues, but once I got it running with the proper INI file, yes, it behaves the same way.

I discovered what was causing some of the problems I reported before. The new toolbar tabs and buttons were not visibile because when the toolbar was cleared, the toolbar got turned off, and creating tabs and buttons does not automatically turn it on (perhaps it should -- why would one create tabs and buttons if the toolbar is off).

I still have no explanation as to why the "Save to .INI" was not working, but that is no longer reproducible. So there is nothing to do unless and until it happens again.

Just to add another issue regarding the tabbed toolbar:

Using "more commands...." > "commands" tab > "options" to add a TCMD configuration button to an existing tabbed toolbar containing a TCC configuration button doesn't stick between TCMD sessions. The TCMD configuration button doesn't stick if the TCC configuration tab is also on the Tabbed toolbar. It appears that the 1st button defined between these two configuration menus in persistent between TCMD restarts. This is also true for V16.

Where is "more commands ..." ?
The Title Bar has a pull down for customization of the Quick options toolbar, the ribbon & Tabbed toolbars.

The quick options toolbar is in the upper left of the TCMD window. On the right of the quick options there is a pull down with the following selections:

Tabbed Toolbar
More Commands...
Show below the Ribbon
Minimize the Ribbon

If you choose "More Commands..." a "Customize" popup is displayed, with tabs that allow customization of the TCMD menus interface, keyboard key assignments and several options.

See the help page Take Command > Take Command Interface > Take Command Window > Menus and follow the links to learn more of what can be customization.

Just to add another issue regarding the tabbed toolbar:

Using "more commands...." > "commands" tab > "options" to add a TCMD configuration button to an existing tabbed toolbar containing a TCC configuration button doesn't stick between TCMD sessions. The TCMD configuration button doesn't stick if the TCC configuration tab is also on the Tabbed toolbar. It appears that the 1st button defined between these two configuration menus in persistent between TCMD restarts. This is also true for V16.

The above report refers to the commands tab of the Customize popup which allows the addition of buttons to a Tabbed toolbar tab (drag and drop), such as options to "Configure Take Command...", "Configure TCC..." and others.

I am aware these items are available using the Ribbon, but when I am trying out various TCC/TCMD configuration items buttons on the Tabbed Toolbar are easier and quicker, thus the attempt to add both a configure TCMD and configure TCC button to a tabbed toolbar tab.

Enjoy.

Rex --
If there are mutually exclusive buttons then it would be a good idea to augment the help. Perhaps examples are appropriate in this case. Ideally the user would be unable to drag and drop mutually exclusive buttons from any of the available options on the More Commands... -> Customize pop-up.

I haven't read this thread very carefully, but in messing around I noticed this:

From the "More Commands ..." dialog ... "Commands" ... drag "Options\ConfigTakeCmd" to a (the default, only) tabbed toolbar. Close the dialog. The new button works. It is not saved to the INI file. After "Save to INI" it is saved to the INI file (B3=8192,32810).

Now I want to get rid of it. Right clicking on it seems to want to do something ... I see a momentary hourglass, but nothing more (should it have a context menu?). So I open the "More Commands ..." dialog and drag the icon from the toolbar back to the dialog; close the dialog. The button is gone from the toolbar, but it's still in the INI file.

Then, with that button now missing from the toolbar, "Save to INI". It's still in the INI file. Close and restart TCMD ... the button is back. I can't get rid of it.