Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TPIPE and word to text conversion

The August 2012 JPSoft newsletter states
[TPIPE] /Simple can also [...] convert Word or Excel files to text, [...]
but when I try TPIPE /input=file.doc /output=file.txt /simple=59 on a PC where Microsoft Word is not installed I get an error message
TPIPE: Microsoft Word is not installed
Please install (or reinstall) it
which makes me think that it's Word and not TPIPE that is able to convert .doc input to text. I think the newsletter enthusiastically overstated this particular capability of TPIPE's.

The August 2012 JPSoft newsletter states

but when I try TPIPE /input=file.doc /output=file.txt /simple=59 on a PC where Microsoft Word is not installed I get an error message

which makes me think that it's Word and not TPIPE that is able to convert .doc input to text. I think the newsletter enthusiastically overstated this particular capability of TPIPE's.

TPIPE (like everybody else) uses the COM interface in Word to get the data. I don't think this is an unreasonable statement of capability (nor do I think that too many people are going to want to extract Word or Excel files when they don't have Word or Excel).

TPIPE (like everybody else) uses the COM interface in Word to get the data. I don't think this is an unreasonable statement of capability (nor do I think that too many people are going to want to extract Word or Excel files when they don't have Word or Excel).
Do You know if the free Word Viewer can be used for this task?

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti