Two small inaccuracies in the TC help

Jun 3, 2008
9
0
60
Switzerland
I have found the following inaccuracies in the TC help (v.9.02.152):


The help contains by the "Key Mapping Directives":

LIST Keys (Overview)

ListFindRegexReverse
Prompt and search backwards for a regular expression

TCC says: Invalid item name "ListFindRegexReverse"
--------------------

In the detailed help to "ListFindRegexReverse" the help says

ListBack = Key
--------

This version will be accepted by the TCC.

---------------

By the "General Input Key":

The help says:

Backspace directive

Default: Backspace

On other appearances in the help, the name for the backspace key is "Bksp", which is the name for use in the tcmd.ini.

---------------

Best regards,
-Urmel-
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,340
149
Urmel wrote:

> I have found the following inaccuracies in the TC help (v.9.02.152):
>
> The help contains by the "Key Mapping Directives":
>
> LIST Keys (Overview)
>
> ListFindRegexReverse
> Prompt and search backwards for a regular expression
>
> TCC says: Invalid item name "ListFindRegexReverse"
> --------------------
>
> In the detailed help to "ListFindRegexReverse" the help says
>
> ListBack = Key
> --------
>
> This version will be accepted by the TCC.

ListFindReverse and ListFindRegexReverse are obsolete (and no longer
supported), as both forward & backward searching are now done in the
same dialog. I've removed them from the help file.

ListBack means something different (return to the previous file).

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Jun 3, 2008
9
0
60
Switzerland
ListFindReverse and ListFindRegexReverse are obsolete (and no longer
supported),

Thanks for this info.

I've removed them from the help file.

I think in the help file for the next build?

I would be grateful if you could ALL directives list/describe in the help
file. It's imho not always clear, which directive is in connection to
which menu entry in the option dialog (e.g FuzzyCD and Extended Directory
Search).

Best regards,
-Urmel-
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,340
149
Urmel wrote:

>
> I would be grateful if you could ALL directives list/describe in the help
> file. It's imho not always clear, which directive is in connection to
> which menu entry in the option dialog (e.g FuzzyCD and Extended Directory
> Search).

The directives were removed from the help file because we do not support
manual entry. All of the .INI directives except the key directives
(which are still documented) can be (and should be) set from OPTION.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Rex Conn wrote:


> The directives were removed from the help file because we do not support
> manual entry. All of the .INI directives except the key directives
> (which are still documented) can be (and should be) set from OPTION.
>
However, you still support the OPTION //directive=value syntax for changing
an option on the fly in a batch file or from the command line. How is a new
user, (or an old user with an imperfect memory), to know the directive
names?

-- Howard
----- Original Message -----
From: "JP Software Forums" <neil@jpsoft.com>; "rconn"
<>
To: <hgoldst1@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:31 PM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-576] Re: Two small inaccuracies in the TC help



> Urmel wrote:
>
>
> ---Quote---
>>
>> I would be grateful if you could ALL directives list/describe in the help
>> file. It's imho not always clear, which directive is in connection to
>> which menu entry in the option dialog (e.g FuzzyCD and Extended Directory
>> Search).
> ---End Quote---
> The directives were removed from the help file because we do not support
> manual entry. All of the .INI directives except the key directives
> (which are still documented) can be (and should be) set from OPTION.
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
>
>
>
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,340
149
Howard Goldstein wrote:

> Rex Conn wrote:
>
>
> Quote:
> > The directives were removed from the help file because we do not support
> > manual entry. All of the .INI directives except the key directives
> > (which are still documented) can be (and should be) set from OPTION.
> >
>
> However, you still support the OPTION //directive=value syntax for changing
> an option on the fly in a batch file or from the command line. How is a new
> user, (or an old user with an imperfect memory), to know the directive
> names?

The OPTION //... syntax is for backwards compatibility; I doubt that
even 1% of TCC users will ever use it. I don't want either new or old
users to know the directive names!

Having the .INI directives in the help file was a constant support
headache; upwards of half of all our support calls/questions used to be
because users had mangled their .INI files with manual edits. Since
everything was moved to OPTION and the individual directives removed
from the help, the configuration problems have dropped to near zero.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Jun 3, 2008
9
0
60
Switzerland
The directives were removed from the help file because we do not support
manual entry. All of the .INI directives except the key directives
(which are still documented) can be (and should be) set from OPTION.

Ok, I see that I must change my usualness. Exclusive working in the console will more and more be replaced with a mixed way (console and gui). I don't like this, but this trend will overrun me...

But I can very good understand your argument regarding the support calls.

-Urs- aka Urmel
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R @select inside alias gives different (insanely small) window Support 7
K_Meinhard Small problem in german IDE 26 Support 3
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Small space problem with the DE translation in Prefs-GUI Support 1
K_Meinhard Small omission Support 2
X small translation error. Support 0
K_Meinhard Very small nit in german Options dialog Support 1
Alpengreis [v21.00.14]A small graphical glitch only ... Support 2
Alpengreis Small things to change in installer and after installed Everything Support 0
Alpengreis A small cosmetic installer thing ... Support 0
N Popup Window size too small Support 5
E TCC History popups too small Support 0
vefatica A small change Support 7
M WAD A small complaint re. Take Command and file (and particularly directory) handles... Support 21
samintz How to? Search for %(command) in Help? Support 1
Joe Caverly Favorites in eWriter Help Support 6
Joe Caverly Quick Search in eWriter Help Support 1
vefatica Online help? Support 2
fishman@panix.com HELP!! I just updated to Version 28 and as usual I cannot make extended directory search work. Support 2
JohnQSmith New online help file wrong logo Support 7
Jay Sage Documentation Function @DRIVE Missing in Help Lists Support 0
Charles Dye More help nits Support 0
D Documentation Typo in COPY help Support 0
FreezerBurnt Help making a CMD and TCC compatible batch file Support 7
Joe Caverly Documentation COMMANDS in Version 27 help Support 8
K_Meinhard How to? Help window position Support 7
U Command help on file names Support 5
D Documentation Help "Startup" page does not describe global lists Support 0
vefatica Help disappears? Support 6
rchapmanitt Help Purchasing Support 2
Charles Dye Documentation Help nits: @ZIPFILECRC Support 0
C version help Support 3
C Documentation Help Nit. REN / RENAME Support 0
Dmitry L. Kobyakov Documentation Error in the Help: the WINDOW command Support 0
vefatica Help for @PID Support 2
vefatica Need help with XML Support 3
Alpengreis Documentation Minor issue in help file for view /E Support 1
R Documentation Advanced Directives Help Support 0
R Documentation Help Nit with SETP Support 0
R wmic command help Support 9
R Documentation Help Nit > bdebugger View Menu Support 0
R Documentation A couple of Help nits Support 0
R Documentation Help typo Support 1
MikeBaas How to? I need help with RD Support 5
R Documentation v25 Help Comments Support 1
Joe Caverly DIRectory Colorization in v25 Help File Support 0
vefatica Help nit Support 0
D error in help documentation? Support 0
Joe Caverly _EXPANSION in help file Support 0
K_Meinhard Help file error Support 1
Joe Caverly JOBMONITOR in Help File Support 1

Similar threads