Declined Unblocking option for MSGBOX?

Sep 18, 2008
5
0
I'd love to be able to throw in MSGBOX commands in my script in a nonblocking way so that the script can continue without waiting for user to close the dialog.
 
May 29, 2008
37
0
Medway, Mass.
Will the /Tn option do what
you want ?
If not you could open another window (session) to display what you want.

Mr. Jiggs

yjchung wrote:




I'd love to be able to throw in MSGBOX commands in
my script in a nonblocking way so that the script can continue without
waiting for user to close the dialog.
 
May 29, 2008
37
0
Medway, Mass.
Or maybe the OSD or SCREEN commands will fit your
need...

Mr. Jiggs

yjchung wrote:




I'd love to be able to throw in MSGBOX commands in
my script in a nonblocking way so that the script can continue without
waiting for user to close the dialog.
 
Sep 18, 2008
5
0
What I want to use MSGBOX or something similar is that I have a long script that invokes many processes in steps and I want to be able to pop up a message box if there's something interesting. That way, the user can start the script, walk away, come back many hours later and see that something interesting happened while running the script. OSD doesn't stick around and can't be dismissed by the user. SCREEN isn't useful since the message will be scrolled off. For now, I've echoed these messages in eye catching colors so it can be seen when scrolling back through the buffer but it'd be nice if message boxes can be popped off that doesn't require immediate action from the user before the script can continue.
 
May 20, 2008
603
0
Sammamish, WA
It seems there are some event plugins that you may be able to use by
having a monitor process that pops up messages from a file, or some
equivalent mechanism.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM, yjchung <> wrote:

> What I want to use MSGBOX or something similar is that I have a long script
> that invokes many processes in steps and I want to be able to pop up a
> message box if there's something interesting. That way, the user can start
> the script, walk away, come back many hours later and see that something
> interesting happened while running the script. OSD doesn't stick around and
> can't be dismissed by the user. SCREEN isn't useful since the message will
> be scrolled off. For now, I've echoed these messages in eye catching colors
> so it can be seen when scrolling back through the buffer but it'd be nice if
> message boxes can be popped off that doesn't require immediate action from
> the user before the script can continue.
>
>



--
2008 Fridays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Saturday.
Measure wealth by the things you have for which you would not take money.
 
May 29, 2008
37
0
Medway, Mass.
How about using the LOG function, or just TEE the
relevant commands/actions to a "status files" and, at the start of the
script, open another session where you TAIL the log or "status file"...

yjchung wrote:




What I want to use MSGBOX or something similar is
that I have a long script that invokes many processes in steps and I
want to be able to pop up a message box if there's something
interesting. That way, the user can start the script, walk away, come
back many hours later and see that something interesting happened while
running the script. OSD doesn't stick around and can't be dismissed by
the user. SCREEN isn't useful since the message will be scrolled off.
For now, I've echoed these messages in eye catching colors so it can be
seen when scrolling back through the buffer but it'd be nice if message
boxes can be popped off that doesn't require immediate action from the
user before the script can continue.
 

samintz

Scott Mintz
May 20, 2008
1,488
15
Solon, OH, USA
This is a brute force approach:
start tcc /c msgbox ok "Status" my status msg

But having a monitor application run would be the better way to go.

start tcc /c tail /f monitorfile.txt
...
echo My Status Msg >> monitorfile.txt
...
echo My 2nd Status Msg >> monitorfile.txt
...
echo My 3rd Status Msg >> monitorfile.txt

-Scott


"Mr. Jiggs" <> wrote on 09/19/2008 05:20:29 PM:


> How about using the LOG function, or just TEE the
> relevant commands/actions to a "status files" and, at the start of the
> script, open another session where you TAIL the log or "status file"...
>
> yjchung wrote:
>
>
>
>
> What I want to use MSGBOX or something similar is
> that I have a long script that invokes many processes in steps and I
> want to be able to pop up a message box if there's something
> interesting. That way, the user can start the script, walk away, come
> back many hours later and see that something interesting happened while
> running the script. OSD doesn't stick around and can't be dismissed by
> the user. SCREEN isn't useful since the message will be scrolled off.
> For now, I've echoed these messages in eye catching colors so it can be
> seen when scrolling back through the buffer but it'd be nice if message
> boxes can be popped off that doesn't require immediate action from the
> user before the script can continue.
>
>
 
Sep 18, 2008
5
0
Thanks for all the suggestions..

For now, I've decided to use "start /c /inv msgbox /n /w OK "Title" Message"
Each tcc session that gets started eats up some memory but as long as I don't end up with a gazillion messages it's fine.
 
May 30, 2008
42
0
From: samintz
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 4:52 PM
Subject: RE: [Suggestions-t-465] Re: Unblocking option for MSGBOX?

>
> This is a brute force approach:
> start tcc /c msgbox ok "Status" my status msg

Alternately,

DETACH MSGBOX OK "Status" my status msg

Jonathan Gilbert
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
vefatica Done Option to suppress blank lines in WMIQUERY Suggestions 1
M Done SFTP with a public key auth option Suggestions 2
R Option to add tcc to Bash profile Suggestions 1
vefatica INI option to disable everything GUI ... Suggestions 7
D Suggestion: VIEW option to open VIEW over tab window but not keep it there Suggestions 0
D Done Suggestion: Add VIEW option to open in same position as current window Suggestions 0
Fross Done Option to screen center msgbox Suggestions 2
P Done Have option not to pause TCMD console output when mouse is clicked elsewhere Suggestions 0
D Done BDEBUGGER: add cmdline option to set a breakpoint at a given line Suggestions 0
vefatica Done PAUSE: option to overwrite the prompt Suggestions 2
A Declined Enhance OPTION command functionality Suggestions 2
R Declined Install option: Add File Explorer Run As Adminstrator option Suggestions 14
Charles Dye Done TCEDIT: Command-line option to print files Suggestions 2
Charles Dye Done REGDIR: Hex display option Suggestions 1
Charles Dye TCEDIT: Path search option Suggestions 1
Charles Dye Done @SNAPSHOT: Add option to capture the entire virtual screen Suggestions 0
Charles Dye TASKLIST: Option to mark WOW64 processes Suggestions 0
Charles Dye Done PRINT: Option to set default printer Suggestions 0
A Declined An installer option to control .btm association Suggestions 0
Oz Solomon Done Recycle/Reuse window option for TCMD Suggestions 6
Charles Dye Done Option to prevent recursion into System subdirectories Suggestions 0
R Declined Padding option(s): @Day, @Month, @Doy Suggestions 5
L Completing the UnQLite command's option set Suggestions 0
jaejunks Done Option for case-sensitive string comparison in IF command (for CMD compatibility) Suggestions 1
rps Declined ECHO -- Add spacing option Suggestions 2
rps Declined TPIPE first match & count option Suggestions 2
rps Done Pause /wait option addition Suggestions 1
vefatica Done TIMER ... a partially quiet option Suggestions 1
mfarah "Relative path" option for PDIR Suggestions 1
D Done Add VIEW option to open in same position as current window Suggestions 0
R Done Find in screen buffer - case sensitive 'option' Suggestions 2
rconn Add option to run programs Elevated from toolbar buttons Suggestions 0
G Declined Add option to turn on file name case sensitivity Suggestions 6
M Done A suggested PDir option... Suggestions 2
Charles Dye Done New TYPE option Suggestions 0
S Declined Add /W(ipe) option to several commands Suggestions 17
S Declined New command or new ACTIVATE option request Suggestions 5
B Done PDIR Field Separator Option Request Suggestions 3
W Done Add an option to control command line parsing Suggestions 7
E Declined Add option to use SFN for ComSpec variable Suggestions 8
Joe Caverly Documentation MSGBOX Ctrl-C Suggestions 5

Similar threads